Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lump under dogs tongue??

Romeo's Mom
February 21st, 2004, 09:42 PM
I am new to this board and look forward in talking to everyone!! I don't know if it is just my husband and me being paranoid, but it seems that our 2 yr old Yellow Lab (Romeo) may have like an air bubble or something on the side of his tongue near his throat. We only see it when he yawns it is purplish in color but when he pants or has his mouth open, everything seems normal!?!? Does anyone have any clue what this may be or is it normal?? THANKS!!

mona_b
February 21st, 2004, 10:25 PM
The only suggestion I have for you is to take Romeo to a vet and have it checked out.

Other then that,I have no clue.Sorry.

Romeo's Mom
February 22nd, 2004, 08:12 AM
He goes on Friday for his regular check-up. We are going to have the vet check it out but didn't know if someone else had this problem or not. He is playing as normal and is himself. Hopefully it is nothing and is just me being paranoid. THANKS!

amaruq
February 22nd, 2004, 08:59 AM
Goldy my oldest (11yrs) had lumps on her tongue. Vet was baffled at why. We figured it out....it was from the raw hides. the way she was eating them. i quite giving them to her and poof she was alright again!

Romeo's Mom
February 22nd, 2004, 11:07 AM
Thank you. It seems like to me it is like a big airbubble type thing. We only see it when he yawns. It is at the base of his tongue on one side. Also there sort of feels like a soft lump on the side of his throat. Is this like what Goldy had?

Romeo's Mom
February 24th, 2004, 05:47 AM
For those of you who care to know. I did take romeo to the vet yesterday. She said she rarely sees this sort of thing but she is almost positive that it is that one of his saliva glands that is blocked and not properly draining or that he might have bitten the side of his mouth and it is swollen. But most likely the saliva gland. She highly doubts that it is a tumor or cancer because of his age. He goes back on March 8th for a 2nd booster of a new shot, they are going to keep him overnight and do surgery on this problem on the 9th. She has to go in and cut open the swollen part and suture it open so that it heals open and should solve the problem. That is relief to me. Please keep him in your thoughts as he has this done. Thank you.

Carina
February 24th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Fingers crossed here!

I just read this...I had a very old dog get a tumor under her tongue, I didn't see it until it got big enough for her to keep accidentally biting it & it bled, poor old girl. The vet was able to remove it under a local anasthesia.

Well keep us updated on Romeo's progress..(love that name!)

amaruq
February 24th, 2004, 08:49 AM
I'm glad its not to serious.

Its great when you hear updates cause you never know when it might happen to your dog or cat.

I agree with Carina. Keep them fingers crossed!