Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pregnant cat

karenj
October 21st, 2006, 08:36 AM
I recently became Mom to a pair of cats that have always been together. The female is VERY pregnant. Can I continue to leave them together while the kittens are born or should I separate them? Thanks, Karen

BMDLuver
October 21st, 2006, 09:25 AM
Definitely separate them if the other is male. Of course, if it's male and he's not neutered then now would be a perfect time to send him off for neutering.

karenj
October 21st, 2006, 12:43 PM
Yes thats what I thought. At first I was just going to wait and take the whole bunch in for altering at the same time but from what I have been reading Mom could come back into season right after giving birth so Miko is going to the Vet as soon as I can make an appointment. I just separated them. I don't really know when the kittens are due but as big as her belly is I don't think it can be long. Thanks for the reply. Karen

BMDLuver
October 21st, 2006, 03:06 PM
If it's your first litter and you get in to trouble with it, please post back. There are many folks here experienced with litter raising etc... so they'll be able to help you out.

rainbow
October 21st, 2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks for deciding to get Miko neutered right away. I would still keep him separate from mom and the babies at first.

BTW, welcome to the forum and hope to see pics of your new family soon. :D

MyBirdIsEvil
October 21st, 2006, 04:03 PM
I definately agree.
I would personally keep them seperated at least until all the kittens have their eyes open, because before that point the kittens are extremely fragile. After that point I would only allow them together while heavily supervised until the kittens are able to run around on their own and he's proven that he can get along with them.

Cats are often scared of kittens, oddly enough, if they've never been around them, whether the cat is male or female has little bearing on that, so he may hiss and try to swipe at them. If he seems angry or scared you may have to introduce them by letting him sniff the kitten (at a safe distance) and then removing him from the room. This may have to be done several times until he's used to their smell and knows they're harmless. You could also try rubbing the kittens smell on something positive (like a favorite toy) so he associates the smell with something good, either way you want him to recognize the smell before you actually introduce them so that it's not something foreign to him.

karenj
October 21st, 2006, 05:02 PM
I will admit to being a bit nervous about all this. However I have committed to do my best. They are lovely sweet cats and I really wanted them pregnancy and all. I guess this is Mings second litter so she is probably more complacent than I am. She seems happy being by herself so I guess thats okay. I've set up two different beds and so far she hasn't paid attention to either one. She just curls up in the cubby in the cat tree. She is eating a lot and purring a lot so I think she is content. I thought it better to shut her into a private room where the kittens can grow and play without interference (except of course by me). I hate leaving her alone though. I'm thinking of moving the recliner in there and sleeping in that but maybe she is better off without too much of my "help". I will definitely take pictures of the family when they arrive. Thanks for all the responses. Karen

MyBirdIsEvil
October 21st, 2006, 05:24 PM
Definately take pics :D

As a warning, when she has the kittens, she may scatter them about the room or wherever she has access to.
Just about every mama cat I've had moves her kittens somewhere other than where I want them. Most of them take every kitten and put it under a bed or piece of furniture, but I had one cat who took each kitten and put them in a different place.
We came home to one kitten meowing and crawling out from under the couch, one under the computer desk, one under the bed, and a few other places, lol. We had to move them back to her box several times before she kept them there.

I will say though that if this is her second litter the chance of complications during birth is a lot less, and she'll probably do a good job taking care of the kittens.

karenj
October 22nd, 2006, 11:02 PM
Ming had three babies tonight. All are nursing and Ming had a good dinner and a BIG drink. I will take pictures soon. Karen

rainbow
October 22nd, 2006, 11:23 PM
Congratulations to you and Ming. :highfive: I hope everything goes well. :fingerscr Keep us posted. :cat:

MyBirdIsEvil
October 22nd, 2006, 11:32 PM
Congrats, sounds like things are going well :thumbs up

angeldogs
October 23rd, 2006, 12:13 AM
congrat's to all.:thumbs up

~michelle~
October 23rd, 2006, 10:38 PM
congrats... please get on those photos soon....:love: :cat:

cpietra16
October 24th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Congrats..and please post pictures ASAP:D