Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Parvo Puppy at vet...

puppyloverx3
October 21st, 2006, 01:11 AM
What an aweful week, I found your site over the past few weeks as our family has been searching for a Beagle pup. We finally found "the right breeder" picked her up last Sunday and within 2 days she became ill, we took her to our local vet who kept her overnight on IV and sent her home in the morning. By that night she was sick again, so we took her to another vet who tested her for Parvo-which came back +ve. She is still at the vets and will possibly stay (by herself :sad: ) until Monday. We have read about Parvo and asked about the statistics but we're feeling so helpless at home. Has anyone else had a young puppy go through this, did they survive, did they have medical problems later in life? Did it come back? I am also worried about the other pups from the litter as I'm not sure if the breeder will get them the medical attention they will need. Any comments on this topic would be wonderful.
Thanks for reading...

Prin
October 21st, 2006, 01:14 AM
I'm so sorry! :( I don't know much about parvo, but others do. I just wanted to say good luck, and I hope your puppy makes it ok.:fingerscr :fingerscr :sorry:

rainbow
October 21st, 2006, 02:00 AM
Me too. :grouphug: I've never had a puppy/dog that had parvo so don't know much about it except that it's really hard to eradicate. :( There are others here on the forum that will be able to help you. I just want to wish you good luck. :fingerscr :fingerscr

OntarioGreys
October 21st, 2006, 02:28 AM
IF you found the "right" breeder they should be notified immediately, there should also be a clause in your purchase contract with regards to communicable illness or lifethreatenig illness

BMDLuver
October 21st, 2006, 09:30 AM
Definitely contact the "breeder" and advise that the pup has Parvo. This does not mean however that the rest of the litter will have it. Sometimes on vaccination the pup will contract it and it can take 10-14 days to rear it's ugly head. If the "breeder" does not seek medical care for the balance of the litter, meaning testing for Parvo, then I suggest you report the "breeder".

You are doing everything you can for this little pup by having the vet care for it. Now it's in god's hands if it makes it through or not. I'm hoping it does for you.

puppyloverx3
October 21st, 2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks for your concerns. I have been talking to the breeder again this morning and so far he says the rest of the litter is fine. He uses a live vaccine and is concerned it may have become unstable as the rest haven't been vaccinated yet. I'm waiting to hear back from the vet for an update as well. :fingerscr

BMDLuver
October 21st, 2006, 03:04 PM
Just how old is your pup? First vaccine should be at 6 weeks. The comment that he uses a live vaccine that may have become unstable.... does he vaccinate the dogs himself? He's a vet as well? Ask him why he has not vaccinated the balance of the litter, why only yours? I'm sorry but it's not sounding very Kosher to me. Please don't think though that I'm knocking you down, just don't wish folks to think this is normal good breeder practice.

rainbow
October 21st, 2006, 03:23 PM
I would also wonder why "only your" puppy was vaccinated. And why is he doing the vaccinations? :confused:

Fingers crossed for your little girl. :fingerscr :fingerscr

erykah1310
October 21st, 2006, 05:32 PM
Im so sorry you are going through this. :grouphug:

I have experience with a pup with parvo, however there was little or no hope for my Falco.:sad: I opted to have him euthanized because the vet said that his test came back positive faster than any other she had seen.
Some breeds are more suseptical to the virus than others ( as i was told) with my little guy being a Rottie his chances were very slim.

The vet told me that he had a 20% chance of survival after approx 1 week of hospitalization.:sad: He was young too, 9 weeks old ( BYB :mad: , I learnt my lesson the hard way about them)

I hope the outcome is better for you however. And also I had read in the Parvovirus pamphlets that the vet had given me to help better understand what had happened, that if a puppy is treated proptly ( and depending on breed) and successfully recovers, they dont have problems with it afterwards ( side effect kinda things, they CAN STILL get Parvo again however)

Another thing I hope the vet had told you, is that Parvo is a VERY hardy virus and can survive quite a while in any environment. (Snow,rain ect)
I had another dog at the time who was vaccinated ( thankfully) and still to be certain the virus didnt spread from my house to neighbouring dogs we burnt Falcos blankets and chewies:sad: Then proceeded to bleach everywhere he peed or poo'd. The bottoms of our shoes and our vehicle floor mats. YOU NAME IT.
We could have been spreading it around with our feet.:eek: Its a scary and devistating virus and I truely do wish you the best with it.
Please keep us posted.:grouphug:

JulieH
October 21st, 2006, 06:31 PM
PARVAID !!!

www.parvaid.com

Seriously ! You need to try this. Talk to your vet and insist your puppy be given this along with his current medication. It's an hermal remedy and I know some people here are against herbal remedies but I'm suggesting it anyways. If you work with your vet and ask them to give it at the same time as the current treatment, you'll get the best of both worlds. Many vets are sure this is just "voodoo magic" but it really does work.

I have just recently used their feline "Distempaid" that has saved my 3 foster kittens from distemper. They already had coccidia then caught the distemper virus from the first group of fosters that I had. Sadly, the first group died, so I quickly had a bottle of Distempaid sent to me in case the second group got the virus too. They did and amazingly, they made it through. I can't say how much I love this product. It's an herbal remedy and I must admit I was skeptical (sp?) as the parvo virus is so hard to combat. Within 2 days, they were eating by themselves, and today 2 weeks after the first symptoms, they are tearing the house up again.

(see related thread here)

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=31599

and here

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101829&highlight=distemper+treatment

There's a link on the last above mentionned thread that lists the suppliers by area and many of the other suppliers will jump through major hoops to get you the product ASAP, one even has on her website "call me anytime, even at 2am if you need parvaid in an emergency"

They have a tremendous success rate with both their products (Parvaid for dogs and Distempaid for cats) and I am one of their success stories.

Good luck and please let me know if you decided to use Parvaid.

Julie

Angies Man
October 22nd, 2006, 12:49 AM
I wrote a fairly long post about my experience with Parvo, and then decided that it would be in poor taste. So I've deleted it, but may write it up again at a later time. Bottom line was that a dog I was going to adopt died of Parvo between the time I paid for him and when I was supposed to pick him up from a shelter.

I'm really sorry for your situation--Parvo is incredibly serious. Your puppy can survive it, but it's tough. The breeder should immediately have his remaining puppies and any other pups he's placed tested!!!

Please keep us informed, we're keeping your pup in our thoughts and prayers!!:fingerscr

puppyloverx3
October 22nd, 2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks everyone for all your words of encouragement and advice. As I type this, I gratefully have a puppy sleeping curled up on my lap. The vet called for us to pick her up on Saturday. She'll be on meds for a bit and we have to keep her isolated but other than that she's on the road to recovery! Yes the breeder did the vaccination himself...There are a few other signs that I did not notice at the time but are now nagging at me that maybe this was not the best place to pick up a new family member. I am strongly against puppy mills and do not want to think that I may have supported one, but I have decided to contact the SPCA on Monday and let them decide if it is or not. I have also read so many different medical views on Parvo:
Once they have it they become immune vs.They can easily catch it again.
It is only transmitted in their feces or urine vs. it is airborn.
Most dogs over 6 months may get it and show little signs of illness vs. Any dog of any age can die if not treated.
No chance of carriers vs carriers
Maternal immunity up until 10 weeks VS give them their first shot at 6 wks
best disinfectant bleach vs ammonia
Some advice has been contraversal even between two local vets. Its very hard to know what to do when there is so much advice but I do welcome comments as we will do anything it takes to ensure she does not become ill again or that no other dog does. TFR

puppyloverx3
October 22nd, 2006, 10:17 PM
Angies Man-Feel free to pm if you'd like. I appreciate others stories as it educates us, as long as it is not too hurtful for you. I was thinking of going into complete detail about the breeder I opted not to as may not be appropriate for this particular thread plus the more I recall everything, the more I am sure something has to be done about it--I may have been burned financially and emotionally, which may be a lesson learned for not paying attention to my gut feeling. If I can do something about it than I'll sleep a little better at night, curled up with our miracle (million dollar :eek: )puppy! I'll keep you all posted on what comes out of the situation and how Lily progresses.

erykah1310
October 24th, 2006, 06:58 PM
:highfive: Im so happy that your little girl is home again!!:D Im happy to hear that your Parvo story is one with a happy ending! Thanks for keeping us posted on this and best of luck with the "breeder" situation.

Hunter's_owner
October 24th, 2006, 09:00 PM
When I first read this thread I was soooo scared for you and your puppy. Now tonight I read the update and was sooooo happy!!!
Thanks for updating, I can't imagine having to go through that.
Good luck with everything :fingerscr
By the way, I have a beagle, so I would love to see some pics :o

puppyloverx3
October 25th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Lilly Update-She's been awesome for the past 5 days...although tonight she slept a lot more than usual, which sends a slight "mommy alerts". But I'm sure she's fine. I've posted a bit more info about her under the "newbie site" including how the "breeder" situation is going--:offtopic: she has never seen a vet before, and still no written guaranee, I was told half of the vet bills may be covered if I can prove his ad said "vet-checked" Which I'm 100% positive it did because I printed it and read, higlighted and made notes on it for the past couple weeks, unfortunately I cannot find the copy at the moment and of course the ad's been pulled...any suggestions. It's not necessarily about the money, but fair is fair, and it would really help when buying her all that yummy canned food the vet got her hooked on.:p
I think her pic should come up-this is her sneaking up on a leaf in the grass today.

coppperbelle
October 26th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Where did you see the ad? If it was in a newspaper they may be able to help you. You can also look in the archives of the newspaper.