Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why are the most clueless people the ones in the dog park?

mafiaprincess
October 20th, 2006, 11:12 PM
So this was day 2 of work being over with.. Last night was agility.. and tonight I had to go practice tying bandages at ski patrol.. It's really close to the dog park with the agility equipment.. So we packed up went to the park, played with the few dogs there.. after like 10 minutes a guy shows up.. Walks his chocolate lab looking dog to the middle of the park on a leash and a prong and the dog is just straining.. Like so hard, I've never seen anything like it on a prong..

I am praying he lets that dog off leash sometime this century because Cider approaches it.. and She got nasty with a dog in agility last night.. It was leashed, she was not because we'd been working.. Was praying that wasn't the trigger..

Finally after waiting what felt like forever he releases his dog.. And leaves the prong on... I asked him if he could remove the prong in the park.. Since this summer I was in a vehicle when 2 danes were playing and one got it's paw under the others prong and I jumped into the back to try to keep it from choking till someone could help me remove the paw.. It's just freaking not safe for play..

He had kittens.. I'm not sure if he didn't listen to half the statement I made.. Or if he didn't give a *beep*. He was 'not going to get into it with me about his dog wearing a prong.' Great, well I don't really care how you walk it.. I do care if my dog happens to get her small paw in there and chokes your dog though... So he takes it off, and spends the next probably 5 but felt like longer minutes telling me off cause I 'started it'. And was 'nasty about it'. I see.........

Followed a few hours later by the dude with the german shorthair.. I'd been talking to an owner of another german shorthair for hours.. The new guy tells this guy you can't neuter them till like 10 months because they won't get enough testosterone production and then you'll screw them up. You know, they'll act gay for life......

So he convinced this guy he can't neuter his 5 month old for at least another 5 cause his breeder told him how gay his dog would be. I thought I was goign to die so we had to leave so I could make it to class. Least Cider was so tired she laid in her crate and didn't make a peep ;)

Rottielover
October 21st, 2006, 08:32 AM
This is why I have stayed away from parks for a long while, the owners(not all) but most are clueless. Now Harley can not be around other males. He was attacked at one when he was young. Never again. I do not like the pack mentality when they all get in together. Plus most owner use it for blabbing time, and do not pay any attention to their dogs :(

mafiaprincess
October 21st, 2006, 10:14 AM
True enough. None worth going to are anywhere close to me.. so this is the second time we've been to a dog park since like June.. I figure going almost never cuts down on actual bad things happening, but you never know.

Just sucks now since Cider seems to take issue with one in 20 dogs we meet that we almost need some adult socialization time, and it's harder to do in my own neighbourhood. That and looking back on it, when Cider wasn't mine she wasn't socilized enough.. Maybe that's why she hit 6 months and became a different dog.. She used to love people and now she's scared of them till she feels like approaching and she wasn't like this when young..

Golden Girls
October 21st, 2006, 11:04 AM
Why are the most clueless people the ones in the dog park? - because their legally aloud? :evil:

Prin
October 21st, 2006, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I've met some of those. Some people have such crazy egos.

There was almost a fight at the park once because this guy who thinks he's the awesomist with his "rare" breed, and who thinks just because he has a bit of muscle, he can do anything he wants anywhere, was upset that a Kuvascz (sp?) alpha rolled his dog twice. The owner of the Kuvascz had just had surgery, so his dog was being protective of him, and frankly, the other dog is so irritating because his owner *wants* him to be dominant...

Anyway, so the big guy gets in the surgery guy's face saying he could kick his a** and all that, and little does he know, the surgery guy is Mr Marial Arts who trains the cops here in self defense and restraining techniques, gives martial arts conferences all over the world and has his own martial arts school. :evil:

I so would have liked to have seen that go down, had the guy not just had surgery. :D

Smiley14
October 21st, 2006, 07:45 PM
Oh, how frustrating! But what's up with the GSP guy?! Never heard THAT one before! :eek: Petey is a GSP, was neutured at 4.5 months and is hardly "gay." And even if he was, who cares?! I'm shaking my head right now at the things some people come up with sometimes. LOL!

Prin
October 21st, 2006, 07:52 PM
lol just wait till he doesn't neuter him fast enough and then the dog will go around humping guy dogs...:evil:

joeysmama
October 21st, 2006, 07:57 PM
Oh for Pete's sake ! How can a neutered animal be gay? Or straight, for that matter?

When Joey got groomed he felt insecure and woudl piddle in the house. Then I hit on putting a sweater on him right away and he loved that. LOL ! Joey was a clothes horse. But the first time he had a sweater on, it covered his whole body and was brand new--probably smelled like the store.

Well I was walking him that afternoon and my neighbor said to me "Do you know your dog is gay?" And I said "My neutered, never tired to hump anything, dog?"

And she said "Yes he turned around and let my dog sniff his rear end."

Um........

I really didn't know what to say to that. I assume that Joey was showing off the ony part of him that still smelled like a dog and not the store, but really I think he was just ready to get on with his walk and he was walking away. After that I told my husband not to walk the dog near their house. I didn't want her interpreting my husbands movements. "OH my Gosh he's facing me he must be attracted to me !!":crazy:

mafiaprincess
October 21st, 2006, 08:06 PM
Yeah I'm standing there thinking.. riiight a gay dog. The idiot GSP owner's dog was a humper. It was like neither seemed to notice cause their dogs are the same breed and it's apparently twice as cute to see them play together,..

Cider was standing on a rock near the idiot.. she was actually trying to get his attention and the guy wanted nothing to do with her, she was mighty dejected..

I'm glad they care enough to exercise their dogs... just sheesh.. I always seem to have the losers gravitate near me..

Cider shows off her bum to new dogs often.,, guys and gals.. I may go cry.. Oh no I think my dog is.. bi.. no.. ahhh
She shows hers off so she can sniff theirs as fast as possible *shrug* I'd avoid that idiot's home on walks too.. ick.

Prin
October 21st, 2006, 08:11 PM
Uh oh.. When Boo likes people, he turns around and lets them pet his hiney (it's a compliment because he was kicked there lots before..:o)- does that mean he's... uh... what is he?

mafiaprincess
October 21st, 2006, 08:15 PM
Oh no.. better not introduce him to the GSP idiot guy.. Might use him as an example as to not neuter like ever... sigh*

Worst part is that he is apparently repeating what his breeder told him....

Prin
October 21st, 2006, 08:16 PM
Great... And the web of morons gets bigger.:(

meb999
October 23rd, 2006, 06:37 PM
I have a very simple for un-gaying your dog :

Tell your dog to :

'Sit!'

'Stay!'

'Don't be gay!'

Gay dog......what's next? :rolleyes:

meb999
October 23rd, 2006, 06:38 PM
Worst part is that he is apparently repeating what his breeder told him....

My dad's vet told him he shouldn't neuter his Springer until he was at least 8 months old because he wouldn't 'fill out'.

What does 'fill out' mean? His scrotum is the only thing that didn't 'fill out' !!!

~michelle~
October 23rd, 2006, 06:58 PM
hahaha brax was neutered when he was three (from the pound before i got him) and he was tring to hump my male cat today...... he's gay and into interspecies sex!!!!:eek: what ever will i do?

technodoll
October 23rd, 2006, 08:20 PM
ooo tell the idiots... that your dog has an integrated "gaydar" in their collar so it's safe :D

i think the moron gsp guy misinterpreted the breeder's comments (or ad-libbed them to suit his purpose!)... it is a widely accepted belief / fact in certain circles that letting a large-breed male mature with testosterone leads to a more "masculine"-looking dog at maturity, while early neutering often causes dogs to be taller but not as broad in the chest and head. but there is almost no diff between neutering at 6 months vs 8, this idiot needs to do his research! sheesh

btw, humping is related to dominance, not to balls... as many neutered males and spayed / intact females hump as much as intact males. i have never, ever seen my boy hump another dog in his life btw... he doesn't need to, he knows he's hot! LOL :D

this explains spay/ neuter effect on bone growth (i posted this before): http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

A study by Salmeri et al in 1991 found that bitches spayed at 7 weeks grew significantly taller than those spayed at 7 months, who were taller than those not spayed (or presumably spayed after the growth plates had closed).(1) A study of 1444 Golden Retrievers performed in 1998 and 1999 also found bitches and dogs spayed and neutered at less than a year of age were significantly taller than those spayed or neutered at more than a year of age.(2) The sex hormones, by communicating with a number of other growth-related hormones, promote the closure of the growth plates at puberty (3), so the bones of dogs or bitches neutered or spayed before puberty continue to grow. Dogs that have been spayed or neutered well before puberty can frequently be identified by their longer limbs, lighter bone structure, narrow chests and narrow skulls. This abnormal growth frequently results in significant alterations in body proportions and particularly the lengths (and therefore weights) of certain bones relative to others. For example, if the femur has achieved its genetically determined normal length at 8 months when a dog gets spayed or neutered, but the tibia, which normally stops growing at 12 to 14 months of age continues to grow, then an abnormal angle may develop at the stifle. In addition, with the extra growth, the lower leg below the stifle likely becomes heavier (because it is longer), and may cause increased stresses on the cranial cruciate ligament. In addition, sex hormones are critical for achieving peak bone density.(

Prin
October 23rd, 2006, 09:07 PM
Heh, the "consequences" vary depending on the viewpoint of the author of the article.:shrug:

meb999
October 23rd, 2006, 09:09 PM
it is a widely accepted belief / fact in certain circles that letting a large-breed male mature with testosterone leads to a more "masculine"-looking dog at maturity, while early neutering often causes dogs to be taller but not as broad in the chest and head.

ahhhh, well that makes sense...maybe that's what my dad's vet was refering to when she said not to neuter his pooch before 8 months. Then again, he's a Springer Spaniel, not exactly a 'large breed'....or a particularly 'manly' lookin' breed either!!

mafiaprincess
October 23rd, 2006, 09:17 PM
I've heard the filling out thing before..
But the gay thing kills me.. My spayed girly humps like no one's business so I'd attest to it being non related to the balls.

Prin
October 23rd, 2006, 09:18 PM
I wonder where Boo fits in... His head is pretty big, his legs are long and his chest in narrow, but we neutered him after puberty.:shrug:

technodoll
October 23rd, 2006, 09:23 PM
i love the cool new feature in the "quote" section! the little grey arrow... that lets to see the post where the quote is from. cool! :thumbs up

prin, the vet that authored that article has some pretty darn good references... but it was geared towards cruciate tears, risks, theories on why and how, etc. however it makes alot of sense that suppressing hormones during growth & puberty WILL have certain physical effects on the "end product", so to speak. not advocating to keep pets intact, not at all! early spaying & neutering is a great thing (maika was spayed before her first heat, we were paranoid about that) but yeah, it's a subject that leads to alot of gumming and controversy, LOL!

technodoll
October 23rd, 2006, 09:26 PM
His head is pretty big, his legs are long and his chest in narrow, but we neutered him after puberty

that's the difficult thing, though.. there is NO WAY to prove anything, unless one could take the same dog and let it mature twice, once neutered and once intact, and then measure the differences :eek: i don't think science will ever be that smart, LOL :D

Prin
October 23rd, 2006, 09:27 PM
Yeah, that's where cloning comes in.

meb999
October 23rd, 2006, 09:56 PM
i don't think science will ever be that smart, LOL :D

Yeah, that's where cloning comes in.

yeah, maybe we could ask the Raelians to help us out :D

technodoll
October 23rd, 2006, 09:57 PM
yeah, maybe we could ask the Raelians to help us out

mouaaaaaaaahhhahaaaaaaaaaaaa! :crazy:

Prin
October 23rd, 2006, 11:41 PM
Let's not and pretend we did. Oh wait! I don't want to steal their MO.:rolleyes:

technodoll
October 23rd, 2006, 11:52 PM
The Raelian Sect's Cloned Baby

http://www.berryburger.com/images/bushclone.jpg

Prin
October 23rd, 2006, 11:59 PM
Oh no! Not another one of those! Send it back! SEND IT BAAAACK!:D

technodoll
October 24th, 2006, 12:01 AM
darn... can't find the receipt anywhere.... :sorry:

rainbow
October 24th, 2006, 12:57 AM
The Raelian Sect's Cloned Baby

http://www.berryburger.com/images/bushclone.jpg

Arrrrgh...I thought they broke the mold after the first idiot. :yell:

rainbow
October 24th, 2006, 12:59 AM
the vet that authored that article has some pretty darn good references...

TD, I'm just curious as to who the vet is?

technodoll
October 24th, 2006, 10:19 AM
rainbow, here is the author's biography (a woman, no less!) :)

http://www.caninesports.com/biograph.html

at the bottom of the original article, all references are listed....