Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Intramuscular shot has left cat favoring hind leg

lissie
October 20th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Hi, I'm in Argentina till next year and I had to take my 7 year old female cat in for FUS which she's susceptible to. She had a very bad infection and the vet gave her an antibiotic in her right hind leg, and then gave her either an intramuscular or dermal shot combination of one day and five days together just at her hip area where meets back. I'm not really sure.

She was crying for a few minutes after he did it and upon getting home her leg kept twitching and she kept favoring it. It has now been two weeks and although she will put a little weight on the leg, she is still limping and often shifts around to get comfortable.

I'm hesistant to take her back to the vet after this experience and I have never in all my years of having animals seen anything like this. Does anyone have any knowlege/experience of what could have happened? And is there anything that I could do about this? It breaks my heart to see her limping like that.

Thanks so much!

Hunter's_owner
October 20th, 2006, 11:09 AM
I don't realy know what to suggest. Maybe a nerve was hit or something :confused: .

I would definetly contact a vet about it. If you don't want to go back to that one is there another one that you can contact???

Hope everything goes well :fingerscr

badger
October 20th, 2006, 11:35 AM
It sounds like the vet hit a nerve, either inadvertently or due to bad technique. If her condition doesn't improve in the next couple of weeks, I'd have her seen by another vet. From what I understand, unless nerves are badly damaged (torn or cut), they do heal but it is a long process. Poor kitty. Give her a warm place to lie, such as a heating pad, set on LOW and covered with several thicknesses of towel to avoid burning her. Even if it is almost summer in Argentina, the localized heat will help a little.

PS What is FUS?