Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Howling at Night

brandynva
October 19th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Help! Here's the scoop. I have a 6 mos old border collie mix and 1 year old GSD mix. Well, the 1 year old went into heat 2 months early. We had just sent in the paperwork to set up her spay and his neuter, but of course she went into heat before we could solve the problem. He has just hit his doggy puberty of course and is intensely interested. We have been successful in keeping them seperated. At night they are seperated anyway. He is crated in the living room and she sleeps with hubby and I in her own little bed in the bedroom. Well the last couple of nights he has been barking and howling and essentially keeping us up. My guess is he knows she is in the house and wants to get at her. My concern is AFTER she is out of heat, will his behavior continue? Once they are fixed will it solve the problem? I am EXHAUSTED during the day. He is so hard headed. We fuss at him, try squirting with water, clapping the hands saying no and nothing works. As soon as one of us is out of sight he starts up again. Does anyone have any ideas?? :pray:

Sleepless in Virginia!

OntarioGreys
October 19th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Things will return to normal after she is out of heat.

rainbow
October 19th, 2006, 09:39 PM
I agree and I would have got them both spayed/neutered earlier. Why do you have to send in "paperwork" to get them spayed/neutered? :confused:

hazelrunpack
October 19th, 2006, 09:59 PM
On a more immediately practical note: ear plugs, ear plugs, ear plugs. They won't totally drown out the noise, but it'll cut the decibel level enough so you might get a little more sleep...

brandynva
October 20th, 2006, 05:53 AM
We would have gotten them spayed or neutered earlier but circumstances allowed that we couldn't. We thought we had more time, but she went into heat early. Around here they have a mobile spay/neuter clinic and you have to "apply" for a spot. Believe me, if we could have we would've had them done earlier we would have. We did crate him in our bedroom with us last night and it was a much more peaceful night. My main concern is more long term. I don't want him in the habit of having this behavior at night. Thanks for the feedback!

rainbow
October 20th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Wow, you must be in a very remote part of the country. Is the mobile unit also the only way you can get other veterinary appointments for vaccinations, annual check-ups, etc.?

I think once you get your girl spayed and boy neutered that the barking at night will stop and IMO will not become a habit. How often does the mobile unit come around and how much longer do you have to wait?