Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Was I a bad "Mommy"?

Purely Canadian
October 19th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Hi guys,

For the past year, I have been dealing with some guilt issues and I'd like to have your advice if I could.

My big golden boy, Shiloh, of 13 years had to be euthanized last August due to congestive heart failure. He was my best friend. Putting him down was the absolute hardest thing I have ever had to do. His appointment was for 5pm and I cried the entire day knowing what was to come. When the time came to do it, I couldn't go. I couldn't be there with my boy while they put him to sleep. I made my husband go and he could only make it through the first injection so only the vet was present when my dog went over the rainbow bridge. I have horrible feelings of guilt and shame that I didn't have the strength to stand beside my best buddy when he needed me most. How do I deal with this guilt? It is driving me insane. A year later and I can't think of my dog without bawling.

What can I do? I know I was a bad "Mommy".

Prin
October 19th, 2006, 04:57 PM
If your hubby was with him for the first injection, then he wasn't alone. After the first one, the doggy falls asleep usually.

But I know what you mean. I lost a doggy when I wasn't with him (I had stayed with him all day and when I went to bed, he died).

But it's not the death that is most important. While it is important that he wasn't alone (which he wasn't), it's more important that he had a happy life full of love, which he did. In my opinion, he would have had no doubt that you loved him.:grouphug:

ByronsMum
October 19th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Awww...I am SO sorry Purely Canadian! :sorry:
You should not feel guilty AT ALL! You loved Shiloh with all your heart throughout his wonderful life and although you were not there in his last moments on earth, I am sure that he knew you loved him still and that you weren't abandoning him. Our pets are so perceptive of how we feel, and I am sure that he understood.

Whenever you feel sad about him, just post a little hi and hello, cus we are all here to help one another get through the hard times!

HUGS from Byron and me! :grouphug:

Hunter's_owner
October 19th, 2006, 06:58 PM
You were not a bad mommy at all.:grouphug:
I know how you feel for sure. My last dog lived to be 15 and had to be put to sleep, I had to leave, I couldn't handle it at all. I cried for weeks before, and even now I cry every so often, I can't look at pictures of her very often.....

Its a hard thing to have to go through for sure :sad:

Frenchy
October 19th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Dogs have such big hearts, I just know Shiloh understood why you couldn't be there with him.:grouphug: I had to go thru it 3 weeks ago,with my Daisy. I was there,and it is hard.:sad:

H.P.
October 19th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I am so sorry that your friend had to go! :grouphug: Try thinking of it this way, you got him the train ticket, and hubby to him to the station, to send him off to a place where he can be healthy and happy, he knows you did it out of love, and he thanks you! You are not a bad mommy!