Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

"Pinning" Back Floppy Ears

Lissa
October 19th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Does anybody have a way to "air-out" floppy ears?

Dodger had his first yeasty ear a couple of months ago and now that it's happened, its not going back to normal. His ear is staying damp/moist... I have used hair elastics and a headband to air them out but at the first scratch or shake of the head the ears flop down again:evil:
I know that long-haired show dogs have their ears taped to keep the fur healthy and clean - anyone know how to do it? Any other ideas?? I need something that won't fling off his head/ears so easily!

*Dodger was at the vet and given Surolan ear drops for 10 days

Prin
October 19th, 2006, 03:43 PM
lol if anybody ever figures this out, let me know.:D

Some of the alcohol (ouch) based cleaners are supposed to dry out the ears as they clean.:shrug:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 19th, 2006, 03:53 PM
From floppy earred dog owner to another - I would like to know too :D

Hunter's_owner
October 19th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I would also like to know. Maybe someone will come up with something.
I have used a drop you get at the vet called epi-otic hq. It dries and has an anti-itch in it as well. I find that to be really good at keeping the yuckies away.

Esaunders
October 19th, 2006, 06:33 PM
What about cutting a portion of a pantyhose leg, flipping the ears inside out and back (or up depending on the ear conf.) so they are exposed to the air and then sliding the hose "tube" over the head/ears neck to hold the ears back?

The air would flow through the nylon hose the ears would be gently held back and flat.

Might work ....

rainbow
October 19th, 2006, 07:07 PM
That sounds like it could work. :D

If you want to be more fashionable there's K9 Kaps but I don't know if the ears would get "aired" enough....

http://doggles.stores.yahoo.net/k9hats.html

hazelrunpack
October 19th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I would also like to know. Maybe someone will come up with something.
I have used a drop you get at the vet called epi-otic hq. It dries and has an anti-itch in it as well. I find that to be really good at keeping the yuckies away.

We've used Epi-otic, too. But if you have to use it long term it can irritate the skin inside the ear. We had one dog that ended up with bloody ear canals from it. So now we just use it one to three days a week if needed and Epifoam, which seems to be a little gentler, for cleanings in between.

Lissa
October 19th, 2006, 10:16 PM
What about cutting a portion of a pantyhose leg, flipping the ears inside out and back (or up depending on the ear conf.) so they are exposed to the air and then sliding the hose "tube" over the head/ears neck to hold the ears back?

The air would flow through the nylon hose the ears would be gently held back and flat.

Might work ....

Oh my gosh - that's an excellent idea.... I will definately give that a try - I think it will work!! I'll let you know! THANK-YOU!

I have not heard of Epi-otic, I will research it though! Thanks!!!

rainbow
October 25th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Lissa...did it work? :fingerscr

Prin
October 25th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Yeah did it? (I'd have to go buy nylons to try it...:o)

mafiaprincess
October 25th, 2006, 08:27 PM
We want pics :D

rainbow
October 25th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Yeah did it? (I'd have to go buy nylons to try it...:o)

Hee hee...I still have lots of pantyhose that I haven't worn since I left my last job in 1989. :o