Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Where Does it come from?

Mahealani770
October 19th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Hello everyone,
I've been reading a lot of threads lately about pets having mange. I was wondering, where does it come from? I know that mites have something to do with it, but where does a dog pic up mange from?
Thanks,
~M~

hazelrunpack
October 19th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Both types of mange common around here are caused by mites.

Sarcoptic mange is fairly contagious. It can be passed from animal to animal--also to humans, I guess, but the effects don't seem quite as traumatic. A dog can catch sarcoptic mange by rolling on carcasses they come across--if the animal died of mange, the mites are often still active and present and will transfer to the rolling dog. This type of mange takes real persistence to treat...it will not go away on its own.

The other type, demodectic mange is also caused by a mite that puppies get from their dams. A large percentage (I don't recall the exact figures) of dogs harbor these mites in small numbers and they usually don't cause any problems. The immune system can usually keep them in control. However, in pups or dogs that are stressed, the mites sometimes take off and a case of mange develops. It is not contagious unless there is another animal in the house with a compromised immune system. This mange can be difficult to treat, also. If the dog is able to recover from it, supposedly it will have lifelong protection from demodectic mange--but I know of one case where there appeared to be a recurrence a few years later...

Either type of mange is a serious problem and requires vet attention.

There...that's my store of information about mange :D (Sigh...yes, we've had a little experience with it...but good outcome.):thumbs up

Mahealani770
October 19th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Wow, picturing a dog rolling around on an animal carcass makes my stomach turn! lol Thanks so much for the enlightening information Hazel, I appreciate it!

Prin
October 19th, 2006, 01:28 PM
omg yet another reason to fear the carcass rolling.

(I have a carcass roller...:o)

Mahealani770
October 19th, 2006, 01:33 PM
HAHAHA! That was sooooo cute Prin!

mafiaprincess
October 19th, 2006, 02:00 PM
The more unidentifyable it is, the better it is to roll in.

Prin
October 19th, 2006, 02:03 PM
oh yeah. And the more the stench adheres to fur, the better.:sick:

hazelrunpack
October 19th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Our dogs believe that dead fish are the best! :dog: IMO the only good thing about dead groaty fish is that they don't carry sarcoptic mange mites...:D

hazelrunpack
October 19th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Oh and what a great cartoon, Prin! We have that conversation at least once a week!

Hunter's_owner
October 19th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Yes for some reason dead fish must be the fave thing to roll in.
When I was growing up, my parents had a lab/beagle mix. Our house is less than 25 feet from a beach (salt water beach for all the "mainlanders" :p ). Our dog would go to the beach every so often, and come home smelling awful :yuck: , dead fish, rotten whatever....its all good :eek:

Prin
October 19th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Jemma prefers birds and the stool of large game.:yuck:

hazelrunpack
October 19th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Jemma prefers birds and the stool of large game.:yuck:

Yum! Bet your house smells good some days! :D Cole will roll in anything--this summer he decided that onions made him smell really good and he flattened my onion patch. Unfortunately, I didn't catch him at it until all four paws were in the air and violently bicycling.... Sigh.

mafiaprincess
October 19th, 2006, 06:05 PM
:D Mummified squirrel and horse poop are aphrodisiacs here.

hazelrunpack
October 19th, 2006, 06:09 PM
:D Mummified squirrel and horse poop are aphrodisiacs here.

Mmmm...mummified squirrel is a delicacy--hard to come by! :D When you run across one of those, ya just gotta stop to enjoy it!

mafiaprincess
October 19th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Dude.. that week was such a horrible week....
We had dead robin.. gets a bath. Next day unidentifyable nastiness.. gets a bath. Day 3 mumified squirrel.. I nearly die when I figure out what it is, and how no one saw that till it was in that state... Hardcore bath. Something I can't even spot in the grass.. Bath anyhow. Racoon poop.. You guessed it.. bathtime.

Prin
October 19th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Unfortunately, I didn't catch him at it until all four paws were in the air and violently bicycling.... Sigh.hee hee "bicycling".:D:thumbs up

rainbow
October 19th, 2006, 07:26 PM
The deer and elk droppings aren't bad but the bear poopies and goose poop are totally gross. :yuck:

hazelrunpack
October 19th, 2006, 10:32 PM
The deer and elk droppings aren't bad but the bear poopies and goose poop are totally gross. :yuck:

We had a setter that we couldn't take out in the woods until about a month after gun deer season. You see, some hunters would do it out in the woods and Gauge would...well...y'know... Now that's totally gross!!!!:yuck:

dogcatharmony
October 20th, 2006, 10:35 AM
my dog likes rotten vegetables that she steals from the neighbours garden and compost. the one day i got a good scare from her..........she was laying on the lawn and her neck was all red........i thought she cut her throat...closer inspection revealed that she was "destroying" rotten dead tomatoes with her killer head manouver and then doing the death roll on them to make sure they were dead.:D ....took a couple baths for the color and stench to come out but now i know i will be safe from those killer tomatoes!!!