Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Amazing number of "pit bulls"!

mesaana
October 18th, 2006, 09:30 PM
I moved to Ottawa last December. Since then, I've seen quite a few "pit bulls" (I use the '' '' because I know it's not really a breed, but it's just shorter to type), a lot of these in contravention to the stupid law. Either they're offleash at Bruce Pit, or just walking in my neighbourhood without a muzzle. The first ones I saw, I felt uncomfortable about. Please understand: I think the law is ridiculous and I've contributed money to have it overturned. However, I felt bad because I thought the owners were taking big chances with the life of their dogs. Now, I've seen so many that I barely notice it anymore.

However, in the last 3 days, I've seen 2 pitbull puppies, the last one 5 minutes ago, when I took Vega out. This guy was outside with his offleash 4 month old pup (absolutely adorable!!!). Puppies, therefore by definition "illegal" pit bulls.

So, is it because Ottawa has not enforced the ban at all and people feel safe? Do I live in an area of rebels? What's going on? Anyone understands this? :shrug:

Frenchy
October 18th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Were the puppies by themselves ? :sad:

mesaana
October 18th, 2006, 09:48 PM
No, no. As I said, one was right behind where I live, with his owner. The other one was at Bruce Pit. But both were about 4 months old...

mona_b
October 19th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Actually there is a ban there also.....:sad:

http://www.ottawahumane.ca/pitbullban.html

And what is VERY sad is,that if these people with the pups get caught,they will put them down.....:sad:

This ban has been in effect for a year now,so there shouldn't be any pups around.

Melinda
October 19th, 2006, 09:14 AM
you can still adopt pit bull and staffordshire puppies in Ontario, you just have to follow the law accordingly. Humane societies may still adopt them out also.

Can I still get a pit bull?
You may still adopt a pit bull or pit bull-type dog from the OHS, as the Act allows for pounds and humane societies to adopt out pit bull and pit bull-type dogs. The OHS will continue with its current adoption program: all dogs, regardless of breed, must pass both health and temperament assessments to be made available for adoption. To learn more about our temperament assessments, please see here. As well, anyone who adopts a pit bull or pit bull type dog from the OHS will need to comply with the Act's restrictions.

Sariss
October 19th, 2006, 09:25 AM
You can still adopt Pitbulls that were born before the ban was enacted last year.

Ottawa isn't the only place that isn't enforcing it. Many municipalities refuse to enact it mainly due to the government not putting the time into training the people that were supposed to enforce it.

mona_b
October 19th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Yes you can still adopt them.:) But when the ban passed,any pups born "after" the ban were to be put down.Unless they were shipped to the states where there was no ban.

So with these pups that you saw,the owners of both the males and females did not comply with the law and have them s/n once the ban came into effect.

Like I said,the ban has been in effect for a year now,so there should not be any puppies around.If there are,these people are taking a HUGE chance.

Melinda
October 19th, 2006, 09:59 AM
in Sept of this year (last month) there were 2 pit puppies (mixed) adopted out at the cornwall shelter, there are still ads of puppies for sale. now they're using the excuse that the pups born before the ban got preggers before they were old enough to spay...so in other words, pups having pups and people lying. Cornwall doesn't enforce the ban unless someone complains.

Prin
October 19th, 2006, 12:26 PM
They just have to pass them off as runty, hyperactive adults...:o

mesaana
October 19th, 2006, 04:39 PM
I saw yesterday's puppy again today. In the light of day, she was wearing a muzzle. But if I understand that law right, it makes no difference, right? If they find her, the penalty is the same... :sad:

Inverness
October 19th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Pitbull puppies are totally illegal now in Ontario. However, you wouldn't believe how many adoption enquiries I've received for Petey, from Ontario residents, after we got him out of Ontario. It seems to be the new fad: it's illegal, it must be really cool. Petey was our first "banned" puppy. He was born October 15th 2005, and would have been pts at the pound. He made it out, most puppies do. Still, you'd be surprised at the number of illegal litters out there. BYB are playing on the pitbulls popularity because of the whole legal issue surrounding them and are pumping litters after litters.

erykah1310
October 19th, 2006, 06:06 PM
There are a lot of Pit pups, staffie pups and so on for sale around here, some are 10 weeks and some a few months. They are advertised in the papers as if nothing was wrong with it.:shrug:

However, you wouldn't believe how many adoption enquiries I've received for Petey, from Ontario residents,
But we are still allowed to adopt them arent we????
Even if the perfect home for Petey applied for him they got turned down?

Inverness
October 19th, 2006, 06:38 PM
But we are still allowed to adopt them arent we????
Even if the perfect home for Petey applied for him they got turned down?

NO ! Petey is a prohibited pitbull in Ontario, he's not even allowed to set foot on your side of the border ! Even if the perfect home comes along, they are not legally allowed to adopt him. He cannot reside in Ontario. They only way for an Ontario resident to adopt a pitbull is to go for a "restricted" one, one that has a proof of having been "owned" by someone in Ontario prior to the ban.

meb999
October 19th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Although the ban is ridiculous...i think people should abide by it until it gets overturned. If those puppies are caught, they'll get put down. Why would you breed pitties and sell them in a province where they have an assured death sentence? Those poor pups :sad: They don't even stand a chance.

erykah1310
October 19th, 2006, 06:49 PM
There is just NO enforcement of it at all around here.

And im curious too, do native reserves have to abide too?? Cause I have seen LOTS of Bullies wandering around with all the rest of the "community dogs"???

LibbyP
October 19th, 2006, 08:38 PM
There is just NO enforcement of it at all around here.

And im curious too, do native reserves have to abide too?? Cause I have seen LOTS of Bullies wandering around with all the rest of the "community dogs"???

Ontario is Ontario and I would think that the laws apply everywhere, the question is 'who' is going to enforce it out there?

wdawson
October 19th, 2006, 09:03 PM
ontario is ontario.....except when on native land.......they consider themselves their own nation.....not subject to provincial or federal laws......look at caledonia....two standards of law:rolleyes: so i doubt any police officer or animal control will enforce any law there.

mona_b
October 20th, 2006, 07:51 AM
NO ! Petey is a prohibited pitbull in Ontario, he's not even allowed to set foot on your side of the border ! Even if the perfect home comes along, they are not legally allowed to adopt him. He cannot reside in Ontario. They only way for an Ontario resident to adopt a pitbull is to go for a "restricted" one, one that has a proof of having been "owned" by someone in Ontario prior to the ban.

Exactly.This is what I have been trying to say.

And it will just take one complaint about pitbull pups,and they will take them away.Doesn't matter if they are muzzled and fixed.The law is the law.

I used to see a ton of pitties in the Toronto Star.I have not seen one ad for puppies.And same goes for the Spec.

I totally agree meb999.Why chance it.

Also,the law is the law.You may not get caught if you have broken it a few times.But trust me,you will get caught.

Prin
October 20th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Mona, you're being scary.:o :D

LibbyP
October 20th, 2006, 01:09 PM

heeheehee Prin I guess it's a good thing you don't live near Mona:D

Prin
October 20th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I would have to stop speeding or I "WILL GET CAUGHT!" dun dun dunnnnn!:D

babyrocky1
October 20th, 2006, 08:34 PM
There are lots of Pittie Pups in Toronto too, and yes people walk around as if theres nothing wrong with it. Its sooo upsetting cause although there are no AC officers trolling around looking for pups or unmuzzled bullies, (or so it seems) there are lots of nasty neighbours ready to pick up the phone!

I have had people contact me cause of the Co-op and ask what to do... but when I tell them they need to find the pup a home outside Ontario ASAP they act as if Im over-reacting!

I think its a big problem that so many arent taking this ban seriously, as more and more people are seen out and about with the illegal pups or un-muzzled "pitties" it gives more and more potentially new owners a very false sense of security, (Just cause the dogs your seeing havent been seized is certainly not an indication that they wont be)

Someone just approached me in my own neighbourhood to tell me that his teenage son had gotten a pup, and by this dads own admission, the son liked the fact that the dog was illegal. He asked me what he should do cause his neighbours had already called AC and AC had left a letter for him outside his apt. door outlining the law.
I told him he that I thought he was lucky that so far thats all that has happened. (From what he told me I got the feeling that they were trying to give them time to find the pup a home before taking the next step). The whole family has fallen in love with the pup now, as familys do, and they are caught between the proverbial Rock and a Hard Place as really the only thing they can do is ship him out of province.:sad:There have been many other phone calls that Im not comfortable posting but it often comes down to the fact that people really dont understand this law, and when you let them know how ominous it really can be they have trouble believing it....... They say things like "but they CANT do that!" and I say yep, thats why we have a constitutional challenge..duh! Where the heck have you been for the past two years while weve been screaming about it???? No, I dont really say that, I try and be understanding and helpful BUT its so darn frustrating!

mona_b
October 21st, 2006, 07:55 AM

Remember,as long as you have a Timmies Coffee,your safe.........;) :D

I haven't seen any pups around here.But I have seen a few un-muzzled pitties.I have actually stopped to talk to them about this,and just to warn them.:)

wdawson
October 21st, 2006, 01:01 PM
kind words and a cookie:D