Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How can I get my cats to stop fighting?

ImLittleJon
October 18th, 2006, 08:09 PM
2.5 years ago, we rescued a female kitten. My wife decided to let her have one litter first before fixing her. We kept one male cat from the litter. When that cat grew up, though, their relationship gradually got worse and worse. They both got along with our third cat, but he was like 17 years old or so and when he passed away, the other two started fighting all the time. Now it's to the point where the son won't even let his mother on our property. We have 2 acres, which I would think would be enough for them to share. We've tried repeatedly to turn the mom into an indoor cat (the only time she gets to eat is when she's locked in and the son is locked out), but strangely, she hates it and always finds a way to get back out again. We've given them their own food and water bowls, and the mom gets her own litter box when she's locked in (they've always been indoor/outdoor cats, so they choose to go outside rather than use a litter box). Beyond that, I'm at a loss as to how to give them their own territory. Any suggestions?

erykah1310
October 18th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Is the male neutered????
Could be a territorial thing if he isnt.

My cats fight amost themselves too, nothing as serious as its seems there, but I understand your worry.

Im sorry I dont really have much suggestions 'cause all in all things are relatively peaceful here

ImLittleJon
October 18th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Is the male neutered????
Could be a territorial thing if he isnt.

Yes, he is neutered. It sure seems like a territorial thing to me, though. He stops chasing her when he gets to the boundary of our property. I suppose that could have something to do with the street being there, though.

MyBirdIsEvil
October 18th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Unfortunately if they're not strictly indoor cats there's really no way to stop them from fighting, because you can't give them constant supervision. Even if you control their indoor enviroment, since they're often outside at the same time they'll fight out there, and that will probably carry on indoors if they're allowed in the same room.
Honestly there's no guarantee that 2 cats will ever get along even if they're indoor cats and you try all kinds of tactics, because some cats are just extremely territorial or antisocial.