Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help Needy Puppy

AnimalLover05
October 18th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Hello everyone, I need some help. I have a 18month old pitbull who is SOOOOOOO needy. I can not pet any of my other animals without him pushing his way into me or pushing the other animals away. He gets a lot of attention but it is never enough for him. We have raised him since he was 10 weeks old. He is a very well behaved dog other than that. He does not chew anything up, does not mess in the house nothing. He is very friendly and sweet. But the constant neediness needs to stop. I do not know what to do. His neediness has even gotten so bad that I can not even lay down or sit by my husband without him pushing his way into us. He has to lay between us in bed....sit between us on the couch...and walk between us when we go for a walk. I am scared that eventually my Boxer is going to feel neglected because we can not even pet him without the pit coming in and pushing him away. SOME PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

OntarioGreys
October 19th, 2006, 10:07 PM
That is alpha or dominant behaviour around other dogs it is acceptable but between you and your husband no it is not acceptable and he should be kick ed off the bed and couch and learn to come up only when invited. And some NILIF (Nothing in Life is Free) training should be done with both you and your husband so he learns that both of you are alpha over him

rainbow
October 19th, 2006, 10:43 PM
I agree and you need to start doing this right away. Good luck and please post with your progress. :fingerscr

AnimalLover05
October 21st, 2006, 02:55 PM
Thank you for all of your help. I agree that something needs to be done. The question I have is....Is my boxer going to feel neglected because our pit always needs the attention and does not let the boxer get much. I feel horrible and I do not want our boxer to feel that way. Any suggestions on how to handle that. My husband and I have been doing some intervention with him to where we have been kicking him out of bed and off the couch when he pushes between us if he is not invited. So far it is working but it makes me feel bad cuz then he will sit and look at us with the sadest face. But I am trying to stay strong and not give in. I am a big push over with my pets and tend to give in right away. LOL....its so hard seeing their sad faces when they get into trouble...haha...

rainbow
October 21st, 2006, 03:30 PM
When one of you is giving your pittie attention the other can be giving your boxer attention and vice-versa. You are going to have to stay strong and not give in. Do a search on this forum for NILIF training. Good luck. :fingerscr

AnimalLover05
October 21st, 2006, 04:15 PM
We have tried to do that...One of us give one attention and the other person give the other attention but the pit still pushes into the person who is giving the boxer attention. I just dont know. I am staying strong even though its hard.

MyBirdIsEvil
October 21st, 2006, 04:16 PM
My biggest advice would be to ignore the sad eyes, lol. As long as the dogs aren't being neglected and they're in a good home the "sad eyes" are just because he's used to getting what he wants when he wants it.

Really, neither of your dogs should be allowed on the couch unless they're invited, and neither of them should get petting because they asked for it.
If you're petting one when he asks for petting and then not petting the other when he asks they don't know any better.

If either of them come up to you wanting to be petted ignore it.
When the dogs are generally being good and they're calm, call them over to you to be petted, that way you're the one deciding when they get attention not them, HOWEVER, don't wait until the dog decides to end the petting session. Pet him for a little bit then stop before he decides to walk away. If he asks for more petting ignore it.
Eventually the dogs will learn that you decide when to pet them and when to stop petting them.

Same goes for letting them on the couch or bed. Invite them up when you decide you want them up there, and make them get down BEFORE they decide on their own to get down, that way they'll figure out that it's your decision not theirs.
Just remember, none of this is neglectful or hurtful to your dogs, they're still getting the same amount of attention, the only difference is that YOU are deciding when to give it.

rainbow
October 21st, 2006, 04:32 PM
We have tried to do that...One of us give one attention and the other person give the other attention but the pit still pushes into the person who is giving the boxer attention. I just dont know. I am staying strong even though its hard.

Then get up and walk away and don't give either of them attention....for the moment of course. ;) It may take quite a while to work. Just remember that you both always have to be consistant with this.