Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

6 week old puppy

earthspirit
October 18th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Hello, I am adopting a med/lrg puppy in two and a half weeks. She will be 6 and a half weeks old when I take her home. I know this is too young to seperate pups from its mom and sibblings but the owners of the mom is moving out of town and they cannot bring the dogs with them. The puppy will have her first needles before I get her. My questions are: What do I feed her? Can I teach her things that the mom would have taught her? And, any other things you can think of would be of great interest to me. I have always owned dogs and cats so I am not a newbie to pet ownership, just to young puppies.

~michelle~
October 18th, 2006, 03:26 PM
i havent had young puppies, but there are alot of good suggestions on the food forum for food.....are they not taking the mother dog as well? maybe whomever is taking the mother dog can keep the puppies for a couple of weeks until they are fully weened

phoenix
October 18th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I got one of my dogs very young. As you said, it's not desirable, but if it's necessary, here are some of my tips:
- you can feed a good all life stages food, they are weaned by that age (I feed Canidae)
- we had some trouble with bite inhibition- didn't learn to be gentle. Find a 'puppy class' and go- you can go after first set of shots. If you know other dogs that are safe (well behaved, accepting of puppies but not a push over, has all shots) then I'd say socialize him there too. Careful of taking the puppy anywhere else though until shots are done. After final shots, socialize him everywhere and everytime you can.
- although we don't have dogs in our bedroom, it was impossible to ask our little guy to sleep alone right away. I slept on the couch with him in his bed, and be prepared for lots of bathroom breaks. I almost had a breakdown, because I was working and not sleeping! If you have vacation or are at home, this is best. My young one house trained extremely quickly though.
- our biggest ongoing issue is dog language. My dog has a lot of trouble learning and'reading' other dogs' body language... he doesn't understand well what they are asking him or telling him to do... this is why the dog socialization at this age is sooooo important... but you have to weigh that with safety from disease etc.

Good luck with your new pup, and get LOTS of sleep NOW!

earthspirit
October 18th, 2006, 03:43 PM
thank you for replying and I will check that out. Yes they are taking the mother dog with them so there is no chance that the pups would be weaned properly.:pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint:

earthspirit
October 18th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Thanks Phoenix,

I was thinking about taking her to puppy school anyways. I am also going to the vets but not that day so I wanted to know what to feed her. :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint:

meb999
October 18th, 2006, 04:02 PM
also, just a side note, if you decide to feed canidae (GREAT food!), that's great, but if your vet recommends another food, I'd check out the dog food forum on this site...it's full of usefull info, and alot of VERY knowledgeable people, they can help you figure out which high quality food would be best for your very young pup.

Also, you HAAAAVE to post some pics once you get your pup :D

earthspirit
October 19th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks meb999 I sure will put pics up as she is soooooooo cute. Thanks for the tip.:pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: