Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

spay/neuter london, On

~michelle~
October 18th, 2006, 11:46 AM
does any one know the number for the spay/neuter clinic in london, On Im having troubles finding it..... its time to take maggie in. :) i would take her to a normal vet but i am low on money (esp having to take braxton for more test right now) has anyone gone to the spay/neture clinic in london, how is it?

LL1
October 18th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Masonville has reasonable rates 519-660-1770

LibbyP
October 18th, 2006, 12:13 PM
hey ~michelle~ you can pm me for the number as I'm not sure I can post it here. I have brought my youngest cat there for his neuter, and everything went fine for him, the one thing I found alittle odd is that the recommend an e-collar for after surgery care, I have never heard of this and didn't think was needed, but that is your own personal choice I guess. Look under Wellington-Baseline Animal Hosp.

~michelle~
October 18th, 2006, 12:20 PM
i found the number now thnx libby :)

~michelle~
October 18th, 2006, 12:21 PM
btw.... i won't be using an e-collar after surgery.... that seems like a weird and bad suggestion

LibbyP
October 18th, 2006, 12:26 PM
btw.... i won't be using an e-collar after surgery.... that seems like a weird and bad suggestion

That's what I thought as well:shrug:

LL1
October 18th, 2006, 12:43 PM
They mean Elizabethan collar,to stop licking or chewing,not an electric collar.

LibbyP
October 18th, 2006, 01:07 PM
They mean Elizabethan collar,to stop licking or chewing,not an electric collar.

Yes of course, but if you are able to keep a close eye on your pet, why would you need one? Working in a shelter for many years having all animals spayed/neutered before adoption I cannot remember one ever being sent back from surgery with an e-collar on, this is just me experience, it wasn't needed

LL1
October 18th, 2006, 01:28 PM
It is pretty common nowadays,as many people work.

hazelrunpack
October 18th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Yes of course, but if you are able to keep a close eye on your pet, why would you need one? Working in a shelter for many years having all animals spayed/neutered before adoption I cannot remember one ever being sent back from surgery with an e-collar on, this is just me experience, it wasn't needed

Wow! English setters must just be lickers, then. We have one in a collar now because she had a shaved spot (for an IV during tooth-cleaning) and she licked it raw before she got home! :yell:

Most (not all) of our dogs are 'licky' and it only takes a split-second distraction and they can have stitches out. We use a cone any time there's a chance that the dog won't have 100% attention from us. But other people we know never use them. I guess all dogs are individuals...:shrug:

Hunter's_owner
October 18th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Yeah e collars are a must for lickers. Sometimes there is absolutely nothing you can do. Hunter is a licker, and while we didn't need one after he was neutered, we almost did. He would hide away to lick, and we actually had to make a trip back to the vet in the middle of the night because he had some tissue licked out that was bleeding :yuck:. Sorry for the graphic description...
But that's what can happen.
So yeah, sometimes no matter what, an e collar will be needed. It isn't painful for the animal in any way at all.

LibbyP
October 18th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Maybe I should have been more specific - for cats we never used one:)

~michelle~
October 18th, 2006, 02:00 PM
i understand if the animal is a licker to use one but i dont think it would be beneficial to an animal if they dont lick. surgury, a vet stay, etc can be traumatic feeling enough of the animal and they need to be as stress free as possible to promote proper and speedy healing.e collars can just add to the stress.... luckily she is getting spayed when there will be someone home most of the time

hazelrunpack
October 18th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Y'know, if you can get away without using a cone, go for it! :D Wow--my shins and thighs, and the other dogs all begin to tremble when we see Lil Belle and her cone headed our way! It's more traumatic for us than for her--she's really gotten the knack of goring us all! :crazy:

Hunter's_owner
October 19th, 2006, 01:01 PM
I agree. The only time I would use one is when it is absolutely necessary.
If Hunter wasn't a licker, I never would have thought of using it, and I was able to not have to use it with him after his neuter surgery anyways. But sometimes dogs and cats want to lick at the cut and in cases where you can't watch them, an e collar may be necessary.