Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog with droopy tail

bhchilton
October 18th, 2006, 07:06 AM
My 2 year old lab all of sudden has a droopy tail. He can still wag it but just dosen't raise it as normal. The tail hangs down as if he was scolded (which is not the case)

hazelrunpack
October 18th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Welcome to the forum, bhchilton. A droopy tail could be something as simple as a sprain or something as serious as spine trouble--best to take your lab to the vet to make sure. There are lots of concerned pet lovers on the forum to give advice, but we can't diagnose your dog's problem.

Meanwhile, pictures of your pooch would be appreciated! Please post a few if you can. :thumbs up We'd love to see your lab! And keep us posted.

SunGurl372
October 18th, 2006, 09:59 AM
To be on the safe side, a trip to the vet is best.

We've also discussed "cold water tail", noted largely in labbies, in a couple of previous threads....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=27010
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24150

Dog Dancer
October 18th, 2006, 11:57 AM
I agree with SunGurl. Read the thread on cold water tail. My lab had the same thing a couple years ago and it was either a slight sprain or cold water tail. But we did take her to the vet and they gave her an anti inflamatory as her tail was a bit swollen at the base. Good luck.

rainbow
October 19th, 2006, 04:01 AM
If it's not "cold water tail" I would get him tested for hypothyroidism. One of our previous huskies stopped holding her tail up. The vet did xrays and found nothing wrong. A month later we decided to take her to a different vet who did a complete blood panel which led to the diagnosis of hypothyroidism.

Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

coppperbelle
October 19th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Has your dog been swimming or did he have a lot of exercise before this happened? There is a condition in dogs like labs and goldens called cold tail, swimmers tail and a few other things. Basically it is an inflamation at the base of the tail that will heal on its own in a few days. It can be very painful and this is why they don't wag it. There may also be swelling at the base of the tail.
You can contact your vet and he can prescribe something for the pain and inflamation or wait a few days to see if it improves on its own which has always been the case with my dogs.

rainbow
October 25th, 2006, 03:18 AM
Did you take your lab to the vet? Do you have an update for us? :dog: :fingerscr