Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Getting dog to eat after acute renal failure

have2fish
October 17th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Hello all

just found this forum.

I have a 9 year old Dalmation/Heeler mix who was very lethargic and not eat/drinking. we took to our vet and he rec. blood test and antibios.

I took the antibiotics and thought I would give it a little time. well 2 days later he was still vomiting and not eating.

Admitted him to our doggie ICU about 10 days ago, his Kreatnine numbers went from 8ish up to a high of 11.9 and now are pretty much normal again... I think 1.7 this morning, so we seem to have weathered the storm when it comes to his renal failure. We are retesting for Lepto as he seems to be a textbook case but the inital test came back neg.

the prob now is that he will not eat. He has lost 14 lbs... and he has always been pretty skinny.

He is the light of my day, as are your pets, I assume.... I cant bear to see him suffer... he is getting calories via tube, and electrolytes via IV. he is very anorexic.

any tips on getting him to eat again? I brought some hamburger meat... he sniffed but no eat.

today I brought some of moms chicken soup and a hard boiled egg... but they wanted to wait as he was vomiting earlier this morning.... we have tried chicken breastmeat and baby food......

I guess that during the renal failure, he had some pretty bad ulcurs in his mouth adn throat..... due to the RF.

any help would be much appreciated!!!

thanks

Marco Farrell
Santa Barbara, Calif.

Prin
October 17th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Have you tried canned food? Merrick makes great canned foods...

Otherwise, can the vet prescribe an apetite stimulant? Maybe that would be more effective...

btw, very pretty doggy.:)

Shaykeija
October 17th, 2006, 09:16 PM
I lost Shayker to acute renal failure. Tough illness to deal with. Shayker often would not eat. Nothing worked. I cannot give you any advise but it will be a tough journey for the both of you. My vet said Shayker would not suffer and he was so wrong. The day before she died she just hunched over her water bowl and would not drink. She vomited blood and I lost her a few hours later. Enjoy your baby for as long as you can. When Shayker was diagnosed he said she would only live a few weeks. I let her drink pedilite instead of water. She died 15 weeks to the day she was diagnosed. I am so sorry that you both have to face this. :sorry:

have2fish
November 2nd, 2006, 07:03 PM
Update,

Smokey looks like he will coming home after a month at the Emergency Pet Hospital!!!

He is having a tube surgically implanted so that I can give Sub-q fluids 4 times a day for about a month.

His Kreatnine levels are leveling around 2.8-3 as we wean him of IV fluids. He is still peeing alot, and I guess that we need to keep hydrating him as his kidneys start to function better.

He is now eating really well and starting to gain weight.

very releived, but more dog drama on the way.... ill post new topic.

thanks

Marco
Santa Barbara

Maya
November 2nd, 2006, 08:50 PM
Sorry you're having to go through this with your baby. When my kitty had kidney failure it was difficult to get him to eat because of the nausea, he was skin and bones. The homoeopathic remedy Ipecac helped him quite well. If you Google Dr. Pitcairn you may find some more information/tips for supplementing his vet care with gentle alternatives. He's a very handsome doggy, best of luck. :grouphug:

rainbow
November 5th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Glad to hear Smokey is coming home and is now eating well. I hope his progress continues....please keep us posted. :fingerscr

BTW, he is very handsome. :cloud9: