Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pregnant Kitten..need advice!

LouieMoose
October 17th, 2006, 04:44 PM
We have taken in a stray and very pregnant kitten. We've been feeding her outdoors for a little over 2 months now, but we recently discovered she is very pregnant (not sure how far along though). She seems to be very young, still doesn't have all her teeth on the sides in yet but nonetheless is having these babies. Her pregnancy seems to be going well, we now have her indoors & she receives regular food, milk & water. And she is very content.

Anyone have any advice on the probability of these kittens arriving and surviving seeing as she is pretty young???

Thank you.

erykah1310
October 17th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Well I dont have much advise, but i think that she should be brought into the vet. Atleast then the vet will know how far along she is and perhaps if shes not "very pregnate" they can spay her.

Thank you for finally taking her in.

MyBirdIsEvil
October 17th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Are you sure she's a kitten? IF she is pregnant, chances are she's just a very small cat and the reason she doesn't have her teeth is that she lost them. How do you know she's pregnant? She could have parasites or some kind of disease that is causing her belly to be enlarged, or she may just be fat.
We thought the female cat that we took in (who was around 6 months old at the time) was pregnant, because she was extremely fat..nope. Turned out she was just a fat kitten, and as she matured her belly went away.
Either way, you really need to take her to the vet to figure out whether or not she's pregnant, and no one can really determine the probability of the kittens being born healthy besides the vet.

MyBirdIsEvil
October 17th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Sorry, I misread, I thought you said she didn't have any side teeth.
Cats can go into heat as young as 4 months, and they can technically get pregnant, but I don't know how likely it is for them to have a healthy delivery. Even fully mature cats often have complications, especially if it's their first litter, so she definately needs vet care, and if she's not too far along the best option may be to have her spayed.

rainbow
October 17th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Thank you for taking in this poor little girl. She definitely does need to see a vet though as only a vet will be able to give you the advice you need. Please take her in and post with an update. Good luck. :fingerscr

heyjude11
October 18th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I know of a 5 month old kitten who recently had a litter of 4 healthy kittens and she was a very good mom to her babies.
You said you were giving the cat 'regular food, milk and water'. Please do not give milk to cats. Most cannot digest it and it gives them diarrhea. Fresh water should always be available though.
I agree with the others that the kitten should be seen by the vet.
Thank you for taking her in.

badger
October 18th, 2006, 05:15 PM
This cat may be older than she looks. I brought in two black boys earlier this year and they were both on the small side, not starving but probably not well-nourished either. They have not only grown in girth but I swear their bones have actually had a growth spurt and they are actually bigger overall. This makes me think that because they are always more or less hungry, the body stays small to conserve energy.
(Did I mention that the black boys are looking for good homes?)
Bless you for inviting this little girl inside. She definitely lucked out!
Have you got a picture?

~michelle~
October 18th, 2006, 05:24 PM
i thought maggie was a kitten when i brought her in but nope she was just teeny tiny

rainbow
October 25th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Do you have an update for us? :cat: :fingerscr

CyberKitten
October 25th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Glad yo hear she is inside. When I first read this, I thought she was allowed ouitside - a big prob for pregnany cats, esp a small kitten. Have you brought her for a vet visit. S/he might recommend abortion esp if the cat is so small and a kitten - she may not be ready to be a mom even tho cats certainly can become fertile at 4 months!! And that would prob be the ideal solution for her health.

If she is quite far along and an abortion is not medically a good idea, she will deinbitely need lots of vet care. Get some Kitten food (Wellness has some good stuff) and not too much dry food. (I tend to call most dry food junk food- wet food gives kitties the water they need.) And dfo NOT give her milk - cats are lactose intolerant, much to many ppl's surprise.

There are some good web sites on pregnancy and cats but mine are on my computer at home - will search later.

Here is one: (Not the best one but it may help)
http://www.cat-pregnancy-report.com/

Good luck to your new friend and to you!!