Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need some advice

granmamary
October 17th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Hi there ,I am new to this forum .
We have a 7 year old black lab called Spot,he is a lovely lad but he has a habit of eating the walls:when we came home from work tonight there is another hole right through to the plaster. He did it before and we put up transparent plastic to stop him but tonight it is at the back of the sofa, so that means another pant job in the sitting room. Is he missing something in his diet or just bored. Hope someone can help

jessi76
October 17th, 2006, 02:31 PM
has this been going on for 7 years? or is it a new thing? has your routine changed? his routine changed? more info may help us give you more appropriate advice.

rainbow
October 17th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Welcome to the forum and we'd love to see pics of Spot.

I am also curious if he has being doing this for seven years or did you just rescue him? Labs looove to chew. Does he have any nylabones, kongs, etc.? I would say he is bored.

granmamary
October 17th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the replys. He did it once when he was a puppy and not again till last year and he has done it 3 times now,the first time was worst,he chewed a hole nearly two foot and it was right through the plasterboard, Is ther something in the plaster that he likes?.
There has been no change in his routine at all, the first time the ppl next door were looking aftr a dog and it had a habit of jumping on the wall and i wondered if he was scared by it but it hads been long gone,He has a Kong toy to pchew but ignores it most of the time.

rainbow
October 17th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Have you tried filling the kong with treats? I sometimes put canned dog food in the large black one and freeze it. It takes a little while for him to get it all out so satisfies his chewing urge.

granmamary
October 17th, 2006, 04:14 PM
He loves his Kong while it has something tasty in it then he ignores it.
How do i post a picture of him,:dog:

~michelle~
October 17th, 2006, 05:11 PM
he may be being left alone for too long or too often, or bored, maybe its a form of separation anxiety. is he getting enough physical activity during the day? maybe of you increase his activity by 1/2 hour, have you gotten him new toys lately ? maybe he's bored with the ones he has. how is his dental situation? maybe his teeth or gums hurt

Prin
October 17th, 2006, 06:51 PM
I think he's bored too. I thnk if you double the amount of exercise he gets every day, you might see improvement (or even triple).

jessi76
October 17th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the replys. He did it once when he was a puppy and not again till last year and he has done it 3 times now,the first time was worst,he chewed a hole nearly two foot and it was right through the plasterboard, Is ther something in the plaster that he likes?.
There has been no change in his routine at all, the first time the ppl next door were looking aftr a dog and it had a habit of jumping on the wall and i wondered if he was scared by it but it hads been long gone,He has a Kong toy to pchew but ignores it most of the time.

i don't think your dog just "likes plaster". what type of home do you live in? when you say the ppl next door, it makes me think of maybe a duplex or apartment type home? maybe he hears or smells something he's trying to get at? since this only happened 3 times in 7 YEARS, I'm thinking he's trying to get to something. do you have new neighbors? do they have animals?

I think if you increase exercise, and introduce some new frozen kong recipes to keep his attention it'll help, but you may also want to be sure he's not trying to get to something.