Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cold/rain/snow Dog activities?

mafiaprincess
October 17th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Last winter I was active, and Cider got the short end of the stick.. I was rarely home, and when I was I was so tired I wanted to die..

We've been more active since March then well, ever.. But we've had a run of rain days, it's getting cold and we'll get snow soon..

What do you do with your fur crew? We'll hopefully take agility classes all winter.. But we can't rollerblade.. Hiking sketches me out a little as to not being able to see that I'm walking in an alright spot, or falling through a snow drift.. Like ice skating but I can't take her.. Can't take her skiing with me..
Fetch may likely be still okay as long as we don't loose our balls when she pounces on them.. May contact dog paddling adventures and see if they'll budge on skijoring with a smaller dog who is muscly.. But that it a few time thing, not regular.

Suggestions on what you do when cold or nasty weather hits? We've tried training inside some, teaching new stuff, but I swear she bounces off the walls..

Puppyluv
October 17th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Honestly, I don't do anything different. Park walks as normal, running as normal... the one thing that I do add, is snowshoing, but that's just a walk in deep snow. I find the deep snow tires her out more than plain ground anyways.

rainbow
October 17th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Yeah, the deep snow is great to tire them out. :thumbs up

technodoll
October 17th, 2006, 02:24 PM
love the winter, anywhere there is snow tires them out... love walking in the woods or fields, throwing snowballs at them (they catch them mid-air and eat them!), they roll in it, the dog park is alot cleaner, basically we have MORE places to hang out in the winter than in the summer... less people, less mud and mess, no mosquitoes or bugs... i love it :D

hazelrunpack
October 17th, 2006, 02:43 PM
We have a general purpose hauler--it's a rectangular plastic open box with dimensions of about about 3ft wide x 6ft long x 6 in tall. There are nylon ropes tied to each end. It's used to haul stuff...don't know exactly what it's called, just a hauler--for leaves, sticks, whatever. Very useful in summer.

In the winter I use it to slide down the hill in the backyard. One dog rides down on my lap, the other five run alongside or race us down the hill. It's a hoot :crazy:

The neighbors, of course, think I'm nuts! :D

rainbow
October 17th, 2006, 03:29 PM
LOL...a doggy tobbagan. We want pics this winter please. :D

hazelrunpack
October 17th, 2006, 03:37 PM
LOL...a doggy tobbagan. We want pics this winter please. :D

Hmmm...I'm usually the one behind the camera and taking one while sledding will be a bit tough :crazy: Maybe I can convince the hubby to try to get some pics--but he's usually so embarrassed by the whole spectacle that he prefers to hide inside while we're playing :D

rainbow
October 17th, 2006, 04:02 PM
He can always wear a disguise. :crazy:

jessi76
October 17th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Tucker will chase/catch snowballs for about 20 min, then he's cold, wet, and ready to go in and snuggle by the fire. we take some winter walks & play in the snow a bit, but he's not built for the snow/cold/wet so we tend to stay inside more often than not.