Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Grooming and colder weather..

mafiaprincess
October 17th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Last year I just let Cider go from like september to may.. I brushed but no more fiddling with scissors (I didn't have clippers) Yes she looked like she got bitten by a weed whacker..
By May she had the fro to beat out the prissiest poodle in our neighbourhood..

I haven't trimmed her since August except for fixing her feet poms.. Currently she is looking well, shaggy. Do you just live with it, or do you put on like a 3/4" comb and try to fix it?

Any other suggestions?

mafiaprincess
October 17th, 2006, 07:17 PM
*poke*
I know I'm not the only one with a longer haired dog..

Prin
October 17th, 2006, 07:21 PM
They don't make razor add-ons that leave 2 inches of hair? That's what I'd do... Leave 2-3 inches.. Then again I have labby dogs, who already have 2 inches.:D

mafiaprincess
October 17th, 2006, 07:25 PM
No.. I've got a 1" comb... but she is only about 1" long right now.. Just she looks unkempt.. Like I haven't bothered to brush her yet I spent a good deal of time today brushing out her ears, poms and then running a brush over her whole body and cleanign up her bum...

Prin
October 17th, 2006, 07:27 PM
maybe just a once-over to make her even? Then when she grows out, she might not be so scruffy lookin'.:shrug:

mafiaprincess
October 17th, 2006, 07:35 PM
She was even..
It's like when I get my hair trimed straight across my back, give it a month or so and it's all wonky again some pieces growing faster..

Prin
October 17th, 2006, 07:36 PM
What you do with your back hair is something you should keep to yourself.:D

Yeah, I see, but maybe she just needs an evening out once in a while (hee hee evening).

mafiaprincess
October 17th, 2006, 07:47 PM
HA HA loser :D

I wasn't sure if I should just attempt an all over long trim so she doesn't loose much fur.. or if it's better to just quit playing with her fur for winter..

I'm not sure I can fix her nappyness though.. She looked better short with poms.. More sleek and muscled.

Frenchy
October 17th, 2006, 07:50 PM
But but she so cute ! I say leave her that way ? Just trim a bit ? I trimmed Bailey myself this summer :eek: He still was cute but .... not a show golden :D

muckypup
October 18th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Winter grooming is the most important. Ĺ inch long will still keep her warm. Leaving it a lot longer isnít necessarily better for the winter. Longer coats get wet easier and stay wet longer which could give her a chill. When the coat gets wet tight matts like to form unless you brush the coat out every time while itís drying.
I think the best winter clip would be Ĺ inch to 1 inch long puppy cut and a little jacket when itís too cold.

mafiaprincess
October 19th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Never had a matting problem due to wetness..

Frenchy, you's like it it was minor :)
Tummy trim down cause the fur isn't doing much, like many breeds it's pretty thin.. Throat trim, top of her ears to make them sleeker.. and the bum clip.
Decided to dremel nails and trimmed her feet but left the poms alone.

Frenchy
October 19th, 2006, 08:00 PM
but left the poms alone.
:thumbs up