Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog won't leave my plant alone

cjanet4mk
October 17th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Is there a product I can spray on my plants that will discourage my 9 mo old bassett from chewing on my plants. I provide her with plenty of toys and a variety as well, so please don't tell me to get her toys. I just moved my plants in from outside since it has turned cold and this is the only plant I have to have on the floor. All the rest are up so she can't reach them. Any suggestions out there?

jessi76
October 17th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Bitter Apple is one product you can spray on. (although be aware, some dogs consider it a condement, rather an a deterent).

I'm assuming your dog chews this plant while you're away? like when you're at work? is it possible to put this floor plant in a room w/ a door that closes? If so, I think that would be your best option. I have plants myself, and I understand there are some that have to stay on the floor. but if it's being chewed, it may be best to put it somewhere that you can close off rather than relying on a spray... honestly, I don't think sprays work that well. Some plants can be poisonous - so better to avoid the risk, IMO.

cjanet4mk
October 17th, 2006, 12:11 PM
No, she is in her kennel when I am away. She chews on it when she knows I am not in the room. It is too big of a plant to move.

OntarioGreys
October 17th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Sunny got up on a coffee table to eat a hanging plant shoprtly after I got him, so many types of plants are toxic to dogs and I figured it is not worth the risk, so threw it out out and others that he could reach if I had no safe spot for them. I figured I would rather be safe than sorry

I know it is not the answer you are looking for though, but I thought I would share my story

jessi76
October 17th, 2006, 12:27 PM
aaah.... then my suggestion is to train her to LEAVE IT. when she goes for the plant, instruct LEAVE IT - when she does, treat! reward! praise! if she goes for it, give a mild correction. don't leave her in that room unsupervised until she learns this concept.

9 mths is a tough age too - they get into trouble often. if you have a family, perhaps everyone could pitch in and help train the dog to leave the plant alone. This way there are more sets of eyes watching the dog, correcting, and rewarding the good behavior (leaving it alone).

in the mean time, try the Bitter Apple spray. it's not expensive, and available at most pet supply stores. (spray the plant a few times a day though, it seems to wear off fast)

one way I deter my own dog from things he finds irrisistable... a quick spritz of a water bottle. my dog isn't fond of water/rain, so a quick spritz gets his attention quickly, and he stops whatever trouble he's up to.

good luck

pug lover
October 18th, 2006, 06:17 AM
i am going to assume that the plant is non toxic for dogs

poor plant

depending on the size of plant try hanging cans and stuff around it, arrange them so that they clang every time poochie goes near them

this will also give you a heads up that poochie is picking the plant
hopefully the plant will last till sping when it can go back into the yard

good luck

i will root for the plant on this one, however think poochie will win:p

cjanet4mk
October 21st, 2006, 08:20 AM
Well, I thought she was finally going to leave it alone, but I guess not. Last night I went to get movies and left her home with my daughter. When I got back she had uprooted almost 1/2 the plant. I think she was getting back at me for not taking her with me.

Needless to say I have moved the plant up onto a table, not the most attractive place for it, but it is there.

Does anyone know how to identify a plant to find out if it is toxic. I am assuming it is not toxic since she has had no reaction to it. I only know it by it's lay mans terms? It is a Mother-In-Laws-tongue. This plant takes forever to grow and I have been nursing this one from a clipping I got from my mother about 6 years ago. It is just now beginning to look like I want it to.

mona_b
October 21st, 2006, 09:03 AM
Actually,it is a toxic plant.Some plants I have been told will take time for a dog to react to it.

I would definately keep it where she can't get a hold of it..

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_toxicplants

OntarioGreys
October 21st, 2006, 09:44 AM
Most lists do not contains all toxic plants, when I caught Sunny up on the coffee table munching on the spider plant I checked a couple lists and did not see it mentioned but still worried I decided to do an internet search just to be absolutely sure

name of plant toxic dog(or substitute if you have a cat)

so in my case in the search box I entered --- spider plant toxic dog

and sure enough I did find it is toxic to dogs
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/safety.html

Because I had some plants I did not know the name of and did not want to search for every single one, I either threw the plants out or put the ones I could or really wanted to keep in a room where the dogs do not have access to, even with training a dog there is no guarantee that they may not atempt to eat for example --- if they have an upset tummy, they are going to crave eating some plant material to help throw up, that craving can be quite powerful and can override all training.

cjanet4mk
October 22nd, 2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks for everyones posts concerning this. I have since moved the plant up to where she can't get to it, unless she learns to climb!:)

Getting rid of the plant just wasn't an option since it is from my mother and I have invested so much time and energy into nurturing it along. It is one of my babies just as my dog is. My house has an open floor plan and I am unable to put it in a room and close it off, unless I don't want it to get any sun light, which is not an option. So that only leaves me with the option of putting it up high.

I am not crazy about where it is now, but I will continue to look for another place to put it, possibly getting a plant stand for it. An excuse to go shopping or a Christmas present idea I can give my hubbie!