Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

16 Hour day in Car and Carrier

shelliandrob
October 16th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Hello,
I am moving and have to travel in my car for 8 hours and on a ferry for 8 hours. My vet mentioned that I could give him a gravol pill to calm him for the trip as he freaks out in the car! (pants like a dog, drools and sometimes even vomits). I keep the car cool during trips but he doesn't seem to take well to the car at all.
Has anyone heard of this treatment and will he be ok in the carrier for 18 hours?

shelliandrob
October 16th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I forgot to mention that he is a cat!! Lol.

rainbow
October 16th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Gravol is for nausea. There is a product called Rescue Remedy that is used to calm pets that you can get at a health food store. I've never used it but others here have so you should get some opinions from them.

We did a move once that took two days and I was sure our cat would freak but she just slept most of the way. Sometimes miracles happen.

shelliandrob
October 16th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the tip. I will look into that as well.

mummummum
October 16th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Gravol is safe to use with animals but I'm not sure about an entire pill for a little cat...might want to re-check with the vet about dosage. One of the side effects of Gravol is it makes you sleeeeeeepy.

Rescue Remedy does work but not with all animals at all times. If your cat is getting stressed now with all the boxes and general moving mayhem it might be worthwhile to try some now to judge it's efficacy.

Prin
October 16th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Yeah, you might want to try a children's gravol first...

Not sure if the kitty would be ok for 16 hours in a carrier though... :o

Be sure to look up threads on moving with cats. I think you have to put them in a smaller room first, so they don't freak out... (I'm a doggy person, so I'm not sure).

shelliandrob
October 17th, 2006, 10:06 AM
I picked up childrens Gravol. He is 16lbs.

shelliandrob
October 17th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Hi all,
I checked with my vet again and she said that the childrens gravol would be fine for him and that he could even be given another one after 12hours. The childrens dosage is 5 tablets daily just to put it in perspective.
I will post later to let everyone know what side effects positive or negative happened with him.

rainbow
October 17th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Are you doing a test run in the car? Good luck. :fingerscr

shelliandrob
October 17th, 2006, 02:04 PM
So far there has been no real effect on Morgan from the childrens gravol. He is still just being his normal self. Maybe, just maybe a little on the tired side but nothing significant so far. Its been a little over 2 hours since I fed it to him.

shelliandrob
October 17th, 2006, 03:26 PM
So I just spoke to the Vet again and she said that the Gravol porbably will not make him sleepy. It will only calm him down. Which it seems to have done. The standard dosage of Gravol that they recommend is 12.6mgs. The tablets are 15 and she said that was fine but not to give him anymore. He can only handle one every 12 hours.
So there you have it. Gravol makes for a nice relaxed cat that hopefully will travel a little better for me this time. Kepp your fingers crossed for me!:fingerscr
Thanks for all the input:cat:

rainbow
October 17th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Good luck. :fingerscr When are you moving from the big rock? Hope all goes well. Post an update when you get settled. :fingerscr :fingerscr

Prin
October 17th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Good luck! :fingerscr

coppperbelle
October 17th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I have taken the ferry from the "rock" a couple of times. I am sure you know already but they do have kennels on the ferries. They are located on the floor below the passenger area and easily accessible during the trip. If you leave your cat in the car you will only have one opportunity to go down and check on him if you are crossing at Port aux Basques. They do not allow people to go down to their cars alone. The noise down there while the ferry is moving is loud and this may also stress your cat out. Have you asked your vet about tranquilers?