Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog does not produce tears

tammie27
October 16th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I have a puggle puppy who will be 1 year old next month. We have had numerous problems with him having infections. Recently he got an eye infection. We took him to the vet and gave him the medicine which did not work. We took him back in and the Vet said he is not producing any tears. He gave us more medicine that he said may or may not work. He also said if it doesnt work he would need surgery to put his saliva glands into his tear ducts. I am wondering if any one knows about this procedure. Does this work? How much does this cost? Is there any other options. Thank you.

kimglenwood
October 16th, 2006, 07:03 PM
My little pom had that, it was pretty expensive, 800 canadian, but she had another surgery at the same time. It fixed her but amazingly she now cries whenever I leave its heartbreaking but it did work, but now there is actual tears coming out of her eyes when she is upset. Its the weirdest thing anyone ever saw, but it can break your heart badly too. But the best is that she is fixed, I don't know if you live in Canada or not but thats what it cost me, and it worked beautifully, except she is the only dog I know that actually cries!