Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spaying my cat

Aimster
October 16th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Hey,

I've had my little kitten Kip for almost 6 months now, it's almost time to get her fixed and I'm wondering if this will calm her down. She's really really hyper most of the time even for a kitten. It gets to the point where I have to put her in a separate room because she is attacking and stressing out our 4 year old male cat. I'm really hoping that she will mellow out a bit once I get her fixed...please tell me this will happen!

Trinitie
October 16th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Spaying and neutering can be done as young as 6 weeks old now. Don't wait for the "apropriate age" to have her done. Make the appointment today.

That being said, while it will help in the long run with her aggression, only growing older will calm a hyper cat, to a lesser degree.

Some cats are hyper up until their golden years.

I hope this helps somewhat.

T

jiorji
October 16th, 2006, 11:47 PM
i don't think spaying and neutering has anything to do with calming a cat's behaviour. She's hyper because she's young. She's also probably bored and needs to burn off some steam.

Prin
October 17th, 2006, 12:16 AM
But if you don't get her spayed, she'll eventually go into heat and if you thought your kitty is annoying now, just wait.

rainbow
October 17th, 2006, 01:14 AM
I think you should get Kip spayed as soon as possible as she can come into heat any time now and it is much healthier for her to be spayed. Is your male neutered?

It won't calm her down much as she is still a kitten and needs to play. Does she have toys? Do you play with her? Get a flashlight and shine it on the wall and ceiling so she can chase it to burn off some energy.

Aimster
October 17th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Our male cat is neutered already. We have toys for her which we use pretty frequently...she loves her scratching post and the balls with the bells inside. I didn't know I could get her spayed that early, my vet told me its usually 6 months before they can be done. Next month she'll be 6 months so we were just going to wait until then.

jessi76
October 17th, 2006, 04:16 PM
there's nothing wrong w/ waiting until 6 mths. my vet also suggests waiting until 6 mths before performing any spays or neuters. I've had all my cats over the years done at the 6 mth mark.

regular household things make great toys too - cardboard boxes, tinfoil balls, pull tabs from jugs, etc.. all easy to find around the house, and provide entertainment for a kitten.