Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pound Puppy Shasta

monkey04
October 16th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Ok!
Here's my new baby Shasta. We figure she's about 4-5 months, not exactly though. She just, just started losing puppy teeth. I found one on the weekend, I've never seen a puppy tooth before!

We moved on Labour Day wknd but didn't get the house until Sep 15, found out there was a puppy in the pound, and had been for some time now, since mid-July. :( Anyways, she really should have been put down by then obviously, but we made the mistake of going down to look at her and well, how do you not fall in love with a puppy that is going to be put down shortly? So we adopted her basically on the spot but unforunately she still had to stay in the pound until the 15th.

Anyways, we're having some problems with her, but I'm told to be patient, patient, patient. I know, I know...but I want her to be trained now! Wouldn't that be cool if they were born and already housebroken!? :love:
She's coming along though, much better than when we first got her a month ago. Still pulls on the leash and play nips, but really, she is improving. She's gone to being HORRIBLE (basically walking on her two hind legs from pulling so much on a walk) to just being a normal bad puppy :)
We're not so sure if she is smart though...I mean, she's walks into walls if we have a treat or toy in our hand and she's watching the treat and WHAMMO! walks into a wall...
And OMG does she get distracted easily! Which has it's advantages/disadvantages. It's really hard to play catch with her indoors, and impossible to throw around a ball outside with her.
Oh yeah, and she thinks she's a lap dog.
In the first pic it was when she was still at the pound and the 2nd pic is just a week ago, can't believe how big she's getting! Anyways, it's proving difficult for her to sit in my lap!
Well, that's the story of my puppy Shasta! And I love her to bits :)

~michelle~
October 16th, 2006, 10:14 AM
hehe shes adorable.... :queen:
hey i am smart but i am clumsy i myself have walked in to a few walls.....:crazy:

jessi76
October 16th, 2006, 10:15 AM
oh my goodnes, what a cutie!

yes, be patient, it'll all come together in the end. it's all a learning experience for your pup AND for you.

as for the leash pulling... there are many harnesses available now-a-days...head harnesses, body harnesses, etc... there are quite a few threads here about harnesses, and which kinds we all use and like. it may be worth looking into. (note: the harness isn't a fix-all.. just a tool to help while you continue training good leash manners)

great pics! you'll have to post more!

mummummum
October 16th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Oh-ohhhhhh, you ARE in for a heap of trouble. Just look at those eyes... it'll be hard disciplining a fuzzbutt with such an adorable face and go-all-melting. Many a time I had to bite my cheeks and purposefully deepen my voice, because I was sooooo tempted to laugh instead.

trippincherri
October 16th, 2006, 11:17 AM
I agree, it's very difficult to scold and laugh at the same time, I usually end up laughing so hard I can hardly talk and the dogs are sitting there cocking their heads at me wondering if I'm gonna make it.
But back to the topic at hand, you need to be consistent in her training, don't change rules or break them because she will notice that and take advantage of it.
And Halti's work wonders for walking dogs, I know Shelby would drag me around the block until I bought one, now she's a little lamb when I put that baby on her.
I am also going through the puppy stage with Shamus, and I keep telling myself over and over "He will grow out of it, he will grow out of it, he's only a dumb puppy and doesn't understand why mommy's plants shouldn't be eaten." or whatever the crime was that day.

Chin up!! One day when she's grown up and brilliant you can look back on all the silly things she did and laugh.

H.P.
October 16th, 2006, 12:20 PM
She is beautiful, and she looks smart to me, maybe just a touch of ADHD, which I think most puppies have :crazy:

rainbow
October 16th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Shasta is adorable.....she has a very mischieveous looking face. :D

monkey04
October 19th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Yeah, that's what we think. Fell in love instantly.
Yes, she is DEFINITELY a very naughty puppy!

hazelrunpack
October 19th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Shasta's a doll! Are you saving the puppy teeth? (Or is that just me? I have a collection of macabre puppy mementos, I guess... :o )

she is DEFINITELY a very naughty puppy!
She's just doing her job :D Puppies are very good at it!

One thing you might want to consider since it appears to be 'teething time' is to buy a pair of bicycling gloves--the kind that protect the palm and back of the hand but have cutoff fingers. You can still get a good grip if you need to, and it saves a lot of wear and tear on the skin while you're teaching Shasta not to chew on you :thumbs up (Won't help the furniture, though! :D )

echo1002
October 19th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Oh, my gosh. Shasta looks just like my Stella. Could they be sisters? :love:

meb999
October 19th, 2006, 06:38 PM
awwwww, look at that face :love: