Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

a sad sad thing

~michelle~
October 16th, 2006, 10:43 AM
It's been a sad month...... so my bf and I broke up earlier this month and we were going to stay living together for the remander of the lease, however he's decided that he's leaving. and Logan is technically his he is taking Logan with him :( I will still have braxton, but i am worried about how he will adjust to the change.... he's losing one of his "parents" and his puppy companion :( I dont know exactly when they are leaving, so I guess I'll enjoy my limited days with Logan :(

mummummum
October 16th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Michelle:grouphug:

Frenchy
October 16th, 2006, 12:26 PM
You could always dognap him? :(

H.P.
October 16th, 2006, 12:43 PM
I am sorry! Atleast you and Braxton will have each other to lean on.

meb999
October 16th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I'm so sorry....that sucks. couldn't you argue that the dogs should stay together?

Prin
October 16th, 2006, 03:27 PM
I'm so sorry. :grouphug:

~michelle~
October 16th, 2006, 05:17 PM
i cant argue keeping the pups together... :( he has ownership papers for logan and i have them for braxton......

Caite
October 16th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Regardless of who has ownership papers, it would be in the best interest of the dogs for them to stay together. My boyfriend and I agreed that no matter what happens with us the dogs will stay together, no matter who takes them. It would break my heart to lose my dogs like that, but I would rather that they be together and happy than me keeping one mopey miserable dog.

kimglenwood
October 16th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Good post Caite, I agree, my pitbull belonged to someone else when my shepard got used to her and I fought with all I had to keep them together and I won! Look for a lawyer who is understanding about these things, (its amazing how many there are)thats what I did, I made it clear I didn't want to hurt my ex, I just wanted them together and the best place for that was with me, my shepard was old and would have died much sooner if not for her buddy. By the time it was going to court this guy didn't care enough to pursue it, and I had them for several years together. Its worth a shot, what can you hurt from trying at this point? Good luck sweetie, I've been there!

rainbow
October 16th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Sorry to hear that, Michelle. Sometimes life sucks. :grouphug: How long have Braxton and Logan been buddies?

~michelle~
October 16th, 2006, 07:20 PM
they've only been together for 2.5 mos and until recently brax hasnt really liked logan... now they play together.... I think that the change will disturb braxton a bit but i think he'll like going back to getting all of the attention as well..... i would love to keep logan, but i am already having to possibly go to court just to get rent money:frustrated: so i cant afford another legal battle, and free legal aid wont cover this....plus my ex and logan have really bonded, and i would hate to do that to logan..... so i think i dont have much of a choice. also since my ex and i were in it together we had enough $$ for two dogs, and the apartment etc, i dont think i would have adequate funds for 2 dogs and 2 cats alone. :( at least not at the moment. trust me if i could get to keep logan i would find a way but its really hard.

glasslass
October 16th, 2006, 07:46 PM
What about "visitation"? For both dogs' benefit, would your ex agree to letting them have play dates? Or possibly there would be times he needs someone to look after him for a few days at a time. Wouldn't he agree for Logan's sake?

rainbow
October 16th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I honestly think that if they've only been together 2 1/2 months then it won't have much of an effect on either dog. But, if you and the ex are still going to be friends, then play dates or sleep overs could be a good thing.

~michelle~
October 17th, 2006, 06:42 AM
play dates would be a great idea, but my ex will be moving out of the city, so i will never get to see Logan again :sad: I am pretty sure that braxton will eventually get over it but he's a fairly sensitive guy and he's losing out on his playmate and another owner.... (we got both of them while we were dating) so when the ex moves out i guess ill just have to do some super extra spoiling to help him get through it

mafiaprincess
October 17th, 2006, 08:02 AM
The ex roomie bought Cider.. but Me ex bf and I were home more.. She had had her like 3-4 days and then I had to take her home for 3 weeks for the xmas holiday..
My ex bf made a huge impression on her as 'puppy daddy'. We were all together from mid december until the end of april, and then Cider and I moved together. I saw the ex once in May, and it had been a few weeks.. Cider went mental. She had missed that boy terribly. She never saw him again after that. For months it was like something was missing, but I knew my relationship was unravelling, so I didn't really watch as carefully as I would have. She sort of grieved... She moped, she went to the front door, she hid under stuff..
She did get over it.. but it took like 5-6 months for her to become more normalized again.. and she's now pickier on getting cuddly with men. It may be her, but I think she still remembers the ex some, though I can't ask her to know for certain.
Hopefully Braxton will slowly be okay with it, it just may take time. It's crappy situation, but I've sort of been there.. just there weren't two dogs involved. :grouphug:

~michelle~
October 17th, 2006, 08:21 AM
thanks everyone for the words of support.... brax and i will get through it. i think ill just have to take him to the off leash park mor often so he can still play.

rainbow
October 17th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Do any of your friends have dogs? If not, maybe Brax will meet a new one at the dog park. :fingerscr Hmmm, maybe you will too. ;)

Frenchy
October 17th, 2006, 07:52 PM
thanks everyone for the words of support.... brax and i will get through it. i think ill just have to take him to the off leash park mor often so he can still play.
Or you could adopt a rescue?

LibbyP
October 17th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Hey ~michelle~ Life really SUCKS sometimes. Sorry to hear about your situation. (I) think if Braxton is just getting used to the idea of liking Logan, things should be fine, yes he might be mopey and down for awhile but like you said he REALLY liked it when it was just him, take him to the dog park tons, there are alot of London members here, there is no reason we couldn't all meet up and make some new friends. Sorry Frenchy but I have to disagree with you on adopting at this time, (I) think the right thing to do right now would be to get all of her affairs($$$) in order and maybe down the line look into fostering/rescue(JMO) How far out of the city will the Logan be living? Will he ever need someone to dog-sit? If you do not plan to stay friends with your ex maybe a clean break is what you need. Good luck:fingerscr