Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vet Assistant

speedbunny70
October 15th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I'm not sure if I should be posting this in this forum or a different one, so I apologize in advance if I'm in the wrong one.
If there is a vet on this forum, I would like to know if someone on here would be able to tell me what level of education you need to be a Vet Assistant (Aide Technicienne) in Quebec. Do you have to go to CEGEP or University? I was told by one Vet that works in Mascouche that you don't need a diploma, all you need is to be motivated and to love animals.
I currently work full time in a field that has nothing to do with animals but I hate it and would like to switch over, becuase I love animals, but I can't just quit my job and go to school full time for 3 years. So I found a distance education school called ICS (International Career School www.icslearn.ca), that offers an Animal Science program. Is the diploma valid here in Quebec? I asked the school and of course they said yes, however they are with the Better Business Bureau. (I also asked the Vet about the school, but she had never heard of it before) I also wrote to 2 different Vets around my house but haven't gotten any response yet.
If anyone could help me out on this one I would greatly appreciate it!! :pray:

Prin
October 15th, 2006, 05:23 PM
There is a professional program given in English at Vanier college (3 year program). You don't have to be educated at all to get the job, but chances are a vet who hires somebody with no qualifications will cut corners elsewhere too.

Here: http://www.vaniercollege.qc.ca/academics/animalhealth.html

speedbunny70
October 16th, 2006, 11:16 AM
The job that I'm looking for doesn't including giving any meds or helping in any operations though.....so I'm a little comfused. :confused:

speedbunny70
October 19th, 2006, 12:05 PM
If there is a vet on the forum that could help me out I would really appreciate it!!

Prin
October 19th, 2006, 12:09 PM
The vets don't come on here often...

What would you be doing then?

mesaana
October 19th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Hello

There is an association for the "techniciens en santé animale" in Québec. This is the people that have the 3 year diploma from CEGEP, like the one offered at Vanier. This is their website:
http://www.atsaq.org/

A lot of clinics also hire people with no diploma for less technical tasks: taking the dogs out, cleaning cages, helping the vets and the technicians, etc... The salary is usually less than the technicians but it can be fun too. Depending on the vets, you can have a varying amount of responsibilities. In a small clinic, you can also do some receptionist work at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Edited to add: I forgot one thing, about the course at ICS. I'm sure it can't hurt. However, I'm not convinced it's worth the money (not that I know how much it is...) I don't think it's going to get you any more money in a clinic. Because I don't think that the ATSAQ recognizes it and the OMVQ (Ordre des Médecins Vétérinaires du Québec) works with the ATSAQ. For example, at the annual educational meeting, they usually include training sessions for the clinic technicians. If you want to take the course for your own benefit, go ahead, however. But a good clinic will train you :-)

speedbunny70
October 20th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks so much Mesaana.
I just wanted to start off by clean out the cages and taking the dogs and cats out, whatever I can do to help out, but I didn't know if I needed any fomal trainning for that or not. I've looked at a few "Distance Education Programs", ICS, Thompson Education and the Professional Career Development Institute, but they are all almost a $1000.00 and I don't think that they are accredited with the vet hospitals. So my fiancee sugested I just go and buy the books from the Vanier or McGill book stores and read up on everything that I can myself. As I work full time right now and can't afford to quit my job and go to school full time. But if I can start at the bottom of the barrel, so to speak, by cleaning the cages and taking the animals out and then evenutally move up the ladder with experience that would be great.....do you think that's possible????

Prin
October 20th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I just wanted to start off by clean out the cages and taking the dogs and cats out, whatever I can do to help out, but I didn't know if I needed any fomal trainning for that or not. The vet will need to train you well for handling animals. Animals at the vet are not too friendly a lot of the time. I wasn't taught how to handle cats properly and I got clawed to pieces. :o

But if I can start at the bottom of the barrel, so to speak, by cleaning the cages and taking the animals out and then evenutally move up the ladder with experience that would be great.....do you think that's possible????It's going to take you a while.. And honestly, I was in that situation and I didn't feel right about it. At a certain point, you move from cleaning and things, to being part of keeping an animal alive, and without the proper training, and a great vet to help you, you risk the lives of the pets you are supposed to be helping. That's why I stopped. The vet that hired me wasn't very good, and I was responsible for so much that could have gone wrong and I wasn't prepared to handle the consequences.

Like a surgical assistant should know what to do if the dog/cat's heart stops beating and I didn't. So if that ever happened, it was likely whoever was on the table would not have survived. And one of the vets I was working with had only been practicing a year, so she still had panic attacks in the middle of surgeries when things went slightly wrong. Not the ideal situation.:shrug: Had I been more prepared, it would have been much different.

speedbunny70
October 23rd, 2006, 12:12 PM
Where do you work now Prin??

Prin
October 23rd, 2006, 03:37 PM
heh heh... uh... I'm not working now.:o I went to get my degree (biology) and still haven't found a job since I graduated.:o