Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to match a license # with an owner?

Prin
October 15th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Somebody I know found a dog with a Montreal license and I don't know how to track down the owner with just the number...

Anybody know?

cpietra16
October 15th, 2006, 05:25 PM
good question. Don't you usually call the city pound or whoever you purchase the licence from? I know in Pointe Claire you go to the Town Hall and they have it on computer. Montreal is larger, so I wouldn't know if they have the same system

Prin
October 15th, 2006, 05:29 PM
In Montreal, you can buy the license in so many places and only the Acces Montreal places are computerized... :rolleyes: And on top of that, it's a 2005 license and the person who found the dog can't make out all the numbers (I thought she could). I don't think this owner is going to be found (and I'm wondering if he/she wants to be found because the dog hasn't eaten in a lonnnng time...).:frustrated:

cpietra16
October 15th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I just went into this sight...can it help
http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/page?_dad=portal&_pageid=3157,3581445&_schema=PORTAL

it has the area where you purchase the licence. i assume when the SPCA gets a dog with a licence they must call to these place. Would they know. Could you call them/

cpietra16
October 15th, 2006, 05:33 PM
why keep the licence on a dog if you want it to get lost forever??? wouldn't you take it off?

Prin
October 15th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Yeah, but it's from 2005. They'd already have a 2006 if they planned on keeping him, wouldn't they?

(and maybe they've found a lost doggy with only a license and know it doesn't lead to anything :rolleyes: :frustrated: )

jiorji
October 15th, 2006, 06:06 PM
And on top of that, it's a 2005 license

what if the dog's been wondering for all this time since 2005??:(

Prin
October 15th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought too.:(

wdawson
October 15th, 2006, 06:34 PM
or what if they could not afford a 2006 tag.......and still think the 2005 number is still in the system:rolleyes:

jiorji
October 15th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I guess it depends on how the dog looks, if he's groomed well or not to know if he's been wondering about

Frenchy
October 15th, 2006, 07:25 PM
When I read the tittle I tought you wanted your car plate to match your dogs????:shrug: I was thinking ; jem 666 :evil:

OntarioGreys
October 15th, 2006, 08:46 PM
THe dog could escaped or got loose from the owners a few weeks ago and has survived on whatver scraps it could find, even though you can buy the city licence all over, all the paperwork and the money collected goes to the cityhall and becomes part of their records, records need to be kept for several years so that licence can be used to track the name of the owner, even though the number is not totally readable there is likely enough numbers there to narrow down the possibilities and breed type maybe included of the licence application, check recent newspapers to see if a lost dog notice is there that matches the decription also check with lacal shelter/police to see if someone has in the last few weeks reported a dog lost.

rainbow
October 15th, 2006, 09:06 PM
When I read the tittle I tought you wanted your car plate to match your dogs????:shrug: I was thinking ; jem 666 :evil:

Tee hee, Frenchy, you're funny. :D

Prin
October 15th, 2006, 10:28 PM
I checked all the online places to see if he was listed and there's nothing.

From her description (she's not a dog person) she thinks it's a black schnauzer. He's VERY skinny and thirsty, and is likely at least 30km from his home if he lives in Montreal (found outside Montreal).

I'll find out more tomorrow... I just told her not to go to the SPCA yet... :o

rainbow
October 15th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Black???....he'd blend right in with Boo and Jemma and the man wouldn't even know. :D

Prin
October 15th, 2006, 10:56 PM
He'd know. He'd give it a hug and walk away without any fur in his nose. He'd know right away.:D

rainbow
October 15th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Then he should have no problem accepting. ;)

Prin
October 15th, 2006, 11:47 PM
lol oh, yeah, he'll have trouble accepting it... and I would too... I'm not a terrier person. :o Some of us do favor some breeds more than others...:o

happycats
October 16th, 2006, 01:35 PM
When I last found a dog (only had a licence tag) , I just called My vet, and he punched in the tag number and gave me the owners info.
That was quite a few years ago, so I don't know if vets still have access to it anymore.

PetFriendly
October 16th, 2006, 05:04 PM
The township/City should have the old number on file, even if the tag has expired. Granted I live in Ontario, but before going to the SPCA I'd call the City and ask if they could contact the owner and give them permission to relay your contact info to them (for privacy reasons they can't give you the owners contact info with their consent). They should be able to match even a partial tag number up with a short list of dogs based onthe description.

rainbow
October 16th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Did you find the owner yet?

rainbow
October 21st, 2006, 03:51 AM
What happened, Prin?

Prin
October 21st, 2006, 06:55 PM
I have no idea.. I've tried to find out what they did with the dog to no avail (They're just not around much and don't seem to care much either). It's a bit of a bizarre situation.:o