Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is my Italian Greyhound having seizures?

wtfrenee
October 15th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I have an Italian Greyhound named Zeus who is almost two, but we just got him from a friend about three weeks ago. I'm noticing that, from time to time, he starts to shake violently and twist his body into strange positions. He usually curls his head around and sticks one of his front legs straight out. The contortionist act usually only lasts a minute or two, but he will continue to shake violently for ten or so minutes. He also often has little fits when he is starting to fall asleep. He acts as though he can't breathe and starts to twitch a bit, and this lasts about ten minutes usually. It's very frightening but I'm not sure what it is - If it is seizures, or if he is just frightened, or if it is normal for small dogs to have these kinds of shaking fits? I've only ever had larger dogs before him, and shelties. I've never had any of them do this before. Any advice?

SarahLynn123
October 15th, 2006, 11:41 AM
I would head off to the vet, it could be seizures but they could do some blood tests to see what may be causing them. My little dog has a mild case of epilepsy, so they are not giving him drugs for it. If it happens often they may give him drugs to help.

My little dog was tested for diabetes to be sure it wasn't his sugar level causing the seizures.

A trip to vet is in order and keep us updated!!!!

jesse's mommy
October 15th, 2006, 11:48 AM
First welcome to the forum and congrats on the new addition to your family. We would love to see pictures. :dog:

As for the seizures, the best thing to do is to go to the vet and have them do some tests. They really are the only people that can give you a correct diagnosis. It wouldn't be right to try to figure out what this is over the internet. Please let us know what the vet says. :fingerscr

rainbow
October 15th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Welcome to the forum and don't forget to post some pics of Zeus.

I agree with the others....a trip to the vet is necessary. Did your friend have the same problem before you got him?