Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Merrick's Puppy Plate (dry)

technodoll
October 14th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I picked up a big bag today and dakotah went nuts for it :highfive: he was sniffing and pushing at the bag, and when i opened it he stuck his head right in there, licking at the bag (he never does that)... so he inhaled 3 cups... this was after his breakfast too, so he wasn't hungry or anything. :shrug: I love the "gravy" that happens when you add a bit of warm water, and those little dried peas, carrots and potatoes are soooo cuuute, LOL :D

in comparison, dakotah never looked twice at the Evo RM... sniffed at the bowl and walked away... i needed a "mixer kibble" so am happy to have found the Merrick's. at $67 plus tax for a 30 lbs bag, it BETTER be good :cool:

(maika ignores all kibble so no wonder she snubbed this one, too)

anybody else feed this?

wdawson
October 14th, 2006, 06:18 PM
no.....have looked at it but stuck to sg as this was good at the time....i feed merricks twice a week as a treat(canned) though. do you think it might be better than sg as a sole feed? your thoughts would be great

technodoll
October 14th, 2006, 06:35 PM
wayne, are the boys allergic to anything?... if not, and you check the Merrick's dry formulas ingredients list and like what you see, then yes I would definitely give it a try.... if not for anything else than variety :) http://www.merrickpetcare.com/

the Puppy Plate (for all life stages) is the best value for the money IMO, it has the most meat and at 28% protein and 14% fat, that is great (dogs need lots of good protein). i think the feeding recommendations are absurd, but then again one cup only contains 360-some calories (vs 520 for regular Evo) so it's not that economical down the line if that's all that is fed. I bought it to mix with the EVO so it works out for me...

you could always buy a small bag and see what happens. so far so good, no room-clearing gas or anything, LOL! :D

wdawson
October 14th, 2006, 07:01 PM
beathoven and george are both good allergy wise,and do good on sg....think i will compare till i can get T.O.

Prin
October 14th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Yeah, the puppy plate isn't as grainy as their adult foods, so it looks ok. At least it's got meat as #1 (most of the others don't).
Turkey, Chicken Meal, Chicken, Oatmeal, Whole Barley, Duck, Whole Brown Rice, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols – a source of Vitamin E and Ascorbic Acid, a source of Vitamin C), Flaxseed, Potatoes, Carrots, Peas, Natural Dried Chicken Liver, Whole Apples, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Lysine, Guar Gum, Salt, Choline Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Whole Blueberries, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Whole Clove Garlic, Dried Chicken, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterocococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Natural Celery Flavor, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Natural Color (tumeric), Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

And no repeat grains in it, so that's a plus too.:shrug:

technodoll
October 14th, 2006, 11:52 PM
update: we have methane! LOL

it's to be expected... 3 cups of new kibble in one fell swoop, not buffered with any meat... but no poop and no upset tummy (he's in an incredibly great mood). actually the stink lasted for a few hours and it's over now. for the record... ALL kibble turns him into a stink-bomb, that's why we only give it to him every 2 or 3 meals now :o

meb999
October 15th, 2006, 03:24 PM
And no repeat grains in it, so that's a plus too.:shrug:

:o isn't barley a grain?? :confused:

Prin
October 15th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Yeah, but what I meant was no repeated, broken down grains, like brown rice, white rice, rice flour, rice bran... you know? They don't do that, so where the grains are on the list is where they really are.

technodoll
October 15th, 2006, 07:18 PM
tonight he is getting the merrick's again, mixed 50/50 with the Evo. let's see what happens in terms of gas!

(he had a raw breakfast so his system is clear) :fingerscr

mafiaprincess
October 15th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Is there anything that really 'makes' that a puppy food rather than an adult food really? I'm not happy with our now 3 way split.. I'll live till something is gone.. but I will apparently never be happy with food again and will be trying 6 pound bags forever.. So how about this one for a 2 year old.. survivable?

Prin
October 15th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Survivable. :)

I'm not 100% happy either... I'm still worried about the phos in the evo.:o

technodoll
October 15th, 2006, 10:51 PM
MP, it says "for all life stages" on the bag so yeah, it's totally acceptable IMO for all ages... i like the ingredients and the % of protein & fat... and dakotah again polished off his dinner (2 cups merricks, 1.5 cups Evo) so that's awesome. i know we'll get mega-farts in the middle of the night but :shrug: , what can you do... adaptation period will be a few days!