Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please help !

Frenchy
October 14th, 2006, 04:07 PM
I just took 3 kittens in,they were oustide in the cold on my neighbor's yard from HIS feral cat :mad: I did tell him but he didn't seem too concern.I only knew about them since this morning.I ask a vet and he said to feed them Pablum.That was before I find out they were younger than I tought.Like they just open their eyes,they barely crawl.Not too sure it's a good thing I took them from their mom but it so cold outside.One is almost dead :sad: I put them in a box with a blancket and tried to feed them with my finger but it's not working.Maybe they are too young for Pablum? I have seringue I can use,what do I feed them? Warm milk? Pablum? They are too small to use the litter,how do I do this? Is it better to take them back to their mom? In the cold? :yell:

Inverness
October 14th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Frenchy, these kittens will die unless you feed them with a bottle or a dropper, every 2-3 hours. You need to get some kitten formula from the vet, or make a homemade recipe (I have it here if you need it). Put the babies on a heating pad or a water bottle, and stimulate them to urinate and defecate each time they have eaten. No pablum, they cannot digest that. Would have been preferable to leave them with the mother, but now that you have touched them, she probably won't take them back.

mama samoan
October 14th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Frenchy I dont know if you know but young kittens like that also have to be cleaned with a warm damp cloth, or cotton ball. They cant pee or pooh on their own. If you can fill a hot water bottle or an empty water bottle with warm water and wrap it in a light cloth. You would probably be better to warm and pee them before you try to feed them. If you have any plain Pedialyte to give them by syringe until you can get them some kitten milk replacement. The vet will have it and some of the bigger pet stores and department stores also. Hartz makes a kitten milk replacement in powder form. The stuff you get at the vet is a bit more expensive, but I actually use the hartz quite a bit. Every two hours for feeding and doing the bums. I used boiled water that has been cooled down, and give them the mixed formula just so you cant feel it on the inside of your wrist, just like checking a babies bottle. hope all goes well, and be prepared for them not to make it just do the best you can, I mean you have already saved them from the cold and wet. Best to you and your new family.

Frenchy
October 14th, 2006, 05:19 PM
ok,water bottle,check. Thanks for the recipe Inverness,running off to the store now.So feed every 2-3 hours :eek: anyone want to come to a sleep over? :rolleyes:

jiorji
October 14th, 2006, 05:29 PM
maybe Monsiuer the cat can babysit??:D

Inverness
October 14th, 2006, 05:37 PM
ok,water bottle,check. Thanks for the recipe Inverness,running off to the store now.So feed every 2-3 hours :eek: anyone want to come to a sleep over? :rolleyes:

Huh, see what you got yourself into... good luck Frenchy ! ;)

rainbow
October 14th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Wow, Frenchy, you certainly are going to have your hands full. Is there any way you can trap the mom cat and keep here in a separate room so she can nurse the babies?

jiorji
October 14th, 2006, 06:37 PM
is this a good time to ask for pictures???:o

Frenchy
October 14th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Wow, Frenchy, you certainly are going to have your hands full. Is there any way you can trap the mom cat and keep here in a separate room so she can nurse the babies?
Except for the one who's not feeling too hot (but better since I brought them in) they are eating (slurping) the formula with appetite .When I spoke to the "owner" this afternoon,he told me the mom was pretty feral and he couldn't approach her. I will have to get them to my vet monday morning,I do have to go to work! I think the younger vet techs will be able to help. Sorry Jiorji,no pics! :shrug: But picture this;they look like little rats with fur :D

rainbow
October 14th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Does he feed the mom? You could set up a trap with food inside.

jiorji
October 14th, 2006, 07:32 PM
hehe i saw the litter Twiggy was part of when they were a few weeks old, sleeping on top of each other like pancakes. SO TINY!!

I don't think Frenchy's getting any sleep this weekend.:(

rainbow
October 14th, 2006, 07:37 PM
All you Montrealers need to have a sleepover at Frenchy's so you can help out. :D

Prin
October 14th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Yeah, Frenchy, if you really, really need help, I suppose I can drive the 100k to your house...:o

cpietra16
October 14th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Don't forget to wipe their bottoms with a warm wet cloth to stimulate their bowels. That's what mom have to do to teach them to poop and pee...but they use their tongues, ofcourse.:rolleyes:

Inverness
October 14th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Except for the one who's not feeling too hot (but better since I brought them in) they are eating (slurping) the formula with appetite .When I spoke to the "owner" this afternoon,he told me the mom was pretty feral and he couldn't approach her. I will have to get them to my vet monday morning,I do have to go to work! I think the younger vet techs will be able to help. Sorry Jiorji,no pics! :shrug: But picture this;they look like little rats with fur :D

If they're eating on their own, then they are at least 3-4 weeks old. They should be ok. Don't forget the pee/poo stimulation. It's important. Don't let them go cold. Use a hot water bottle or a heating pad to keep them warm. If they are too cold, they'll waste all their energy trying to regulate their body temperature and they'll lose weight.

If you need help, I have a very experienced foster home who can guide you over the phone, just pm me.

Frenchy
October 15th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Just gave the babies their bottle :D The one that wasn't doing too good is better now.He/she started to mieow a bit,like the others,first words ....I noticed some have only one eye open,so they are pretty young.They will make it after all. Hope I'm not speaking too soon.They really like the formula I feed them,thanks to Inverness.And yes I do clean their little bottoms,this is the closest of a mom I'll ever be.;)

Frenchy
October 15th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Yeah, Frenchy, if you really, really need help, I suppose I can drive the 100k to your house...:o
It'S only 60 k unless you get lost!

mummummum
October 15th, 2006, 02:41 AM
That's great news Frenchy ~ your the purrrrrrrfect Mum for these wee riggins. Wow, such tiny, tiny lives. I remember holding Bridie and Ceili in my hand, I thought their hearts would burst from their chests ~ it was like feeling my own pulse, their heart beats were so strong in their little bodies.

rainbow
October 15th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Glad to hear your babies are doing better. You're a good mom. :highfive:

Is your neighbour going to set out a trap for the momma cat? :fingerscr

rainbow
October 15th, 2006, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Yeah, Frenchy, if you really, really need help, I suppose I can drive the 100k to your house...

It'S only 60 k unless you get lost!

Prin's still sick so she'd probably drive around in circles for the other 40k :D

Frenchy
October 15th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Glad to hear your babies are doing better. You're a good mom. :highfive:

Is your neighbour going to set out a trap for the momma cat? :fingerscr
I wouldn't bet on it! And he looked so sad when he told me about the job he lost.He lives alone with his handicap son.Maybe when he'll find work again? I'm sure he doesn't have the money now.

rainbow
October 15th, 2006, 02:59 AM
Well she'll either be pregnant by then or will have had another litter by that time. :sad:

badger
October 15th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Poor guy, I imagine feral cats are the last thing on his mind at the moment.

heyjude11
October 15th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Frenchy,
You've been given some good advice. I just want to add that the kittens must be kept warm at all times, especially if they are younger than you originally thought them to be. If you have them in a box with a hot water bottle wrapped with a towel, make sure to leave enough room for them to wiggle their way off the hot water bottle, which they will do if they are too hot. Also, young kittens cannot digest their food if they are cold.
There are some excellent sites on the internet that will tell you everything you need to know. Try doing a Google search for 'orphaned kittens'.
I volunteer in the kitten nursery of an animal shelter so if I can be of any help (other than driving to Montreal), please contact me.
Good luck!

Frenchy
October 15th, 2006, 06:16 PM
It's a shame you're not in Montreal,I could really use a rescue that would take these little guys.I have to drop them at my vet tomorrow morning.Can't leave them home alone,without feeding them for 10 hours while I'm at work :sad:

rainbow
October 15th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Poor guy, I imagine feral cats are the last thing on his mind at the moment.

True enough. But it doesn't cost much to try to trap a cat.... just lots of time and patience.

mummummum
October 15th, 2006, 11:30 PM
How are the wee ones health-wise Frenchy?

Prin
October 16th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Prin's still sick so she'd probably drive around in circles for the other 40k :Dlol I don't have to be sick to get lost. I do that plenty when I'm healthy (and even when I know where I'm going :D).

Are the little ones doing ok? How are you doing Frenchy?

rainbow
October 16th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Oh, um yeah, we keep asking how the babies are doing and are forgetting about you. :o

How did work go today? And, how was the trip to the vet?

Frenchy
October 16th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Got them to my vet this morning. I knew by the look on his face ... he had to euthanize them :sad: He said they were about 2 weeks old and he gets people bringing him kittens every week. He does put them up for adoption if they are old enough (even if he's not a shelter) but had no one to take care of "mine". I think only one of them was in good shape,the other 2 did get better but not enough. I still stand by my decision of having taking them in. They would have die a slow death,with the cold or they would have been eaten by other animals around here. I'm sorry little kittens :rip:

hazelrunpack
October 16th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Oh, Frenchy, don't be sorry--you did what you could for them and more than most people would. You poured your love into them--it just wasnt' to be.

So sad :sad:

mummummum
October 16th, 2006, 09:37 PM
:grouphug: Awww Frenchy ~ you're an guardian angel for taking them in and giving them your love, care and protection. You made the right decision to take them into the Vet.:grouphug: :sorry:

jiorji
October 16th, 2006, 09:45 PM
:grouphug: awwwww Frenchy it's ok. They're in a better place :candle: