Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

why me ?

Frenchy
October 14th, 2006, 12:01 PM
:frustrated: I went out in the backyard with my boys this morning.I then heard a kitten screaming at the top of his lungs,it was coming from the other side of my fence,under the cedar trees.My neighbor has some feral cats that he "keeps" to get rid of the mice.There were 3 little kittens,not too good at this but I think they are about 3-4 weeks old? So I've be racking my brains on what to do since.I went grocery shopping,stop at a vet clinic,ask them If they would take them,no.Ask them for a number of a clinic that would spay the adult female,will give the # the to neighbor when I see him.Don't think that will make a difference.I'm sick of this! Last year,one of them got into my yard,got corner by the dogs,bit my hand several times when I tried to catch him to free him.Had to had rabbies shot,environnement Canada called me,I had to tell my neighbor to watch the cat,if it had rabbies,I had to go back for 5 more shots.Now I did buy Pablum (I ask the vet IF I took the kittens in,what to feed them) but I'm not sure I want to do this.I just got red of the fleas in the house (thanks to Monsieur le chat!) But it's so cold outside....I checked up on them,the mommy was there,5 foot away from them.They are sleeping one on top of the others.I'm so freakin mad,why would it be my problem? I don't want to talk to my neighbor about it,he's the kind of "let nature takes it's course".arggggg stupid people!:mad: don't know what to do....:yell:

jiorji
October 14th, 2006, 12:12 PM
:thumbs up uh oh Frenchy. Let me tell you...you HAVE to get the adult cat spayed. Otherwise every year you'll get kittens. My parents have the same problem and they can't solve it that easily because adult feral cats are HARD to catch!:evil: and they never leave. Once they know someone fed them at a house, they know there'll be food there in the future.

so far this year my parents had to trap and find homes for at least 6 kittens. Yes my parents have tehir own rescue set up in their back yard :rolleyes:

Problem is the adults will keep mating and babies will keep appearing and it'll never end. I'm sure you already know this of course. Try to catch the cats and spay it and then put it back. the neighbour will never know ;) maybe ask the neighbour for some help since they're his cats?

secondly, those poor kittens are too young to survive the winter:( , but catching them(unless you haven't already been able to) will be very easy, provided you have the patience and time to befriend them, but with winter coming.....:frustrated: . I'm not sure how long you have to give them with their mom before they can be sepparated but don't let them get too old or it'll be harder to touch them.

good luck

Frenchy
October 14th, 2006, 12:22 PM
:thumbs up uh oh Frenchy. Let me tell you...you HAVE to get the adult cat spayed.
I refuse to let it become my problem.I have my pets to take care of,they are costing me a loooot of money,I simply don't have the funds to take care of feral cats that my neighbor keeps.I will talk to him but that's it.I have too much on my own plate as it is.I have a vet appoitment this week for Bailey,he decided to become an anorexic,don't want his kibble anymore,only if I hand feed him.Still eats his treats,is he mourning Daisy? Picky about his food? Not taking any chances and off to the vet we'll go ....and I have my own cat to have neutered and check up.And even if I don't have any foster dogs for the moment,I do get lots of e-mails about people asking for info about adoption,I do answer everyone,and of other recues that informs me of goldens in pounds,wich I try to place with fosters,my point,I still do lots for our rescue even when I don't foster a dog.My concern is for the kittens,I could catch them easely,they look too small to run away....stil don't know.

jiorji
October 14th, 2006, 12:30 PM
i understand what you mean. Hopefully the moron is willing to do something about it. Does he even know he's got kittens? Does he know he'll soon have dead kittens??:( I'm not trying to make you feel guilty in any way because your furries come first, but those kittens are just too young to get through winter.

Frenchy
October 14th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Don't worry, I won't let them die. First thing monday I call my vet and will beg him to take the kittens and put them up for adoption....:fingerscr

Frenchy
October 14th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Well,I spoke to my neighbor. When I ask him how he was doing; real bad,he just lost his job. So my timing to tell him to get the female spay wasn't good , but I did tell him anyway and gave him the number of a clinic that could do it for less than other vets. He said he didn't know he had kittens under HIS trees. :confused: how come I knew? He said yes,if I wanted to take them I could,he said yes,it would be a good idea to get the female spay. I think he is way to shy to tell me off.So I'm not convince he will do something about it. But we never know.:fingerscr

jiorji
October 14th, 2006, 03:51 PM
well hopefully he will. If not for the animals at least for himself. Soon enough he'll have dozens of cats in heat running around with small kittens that may not survive so young alone. Feral cats have enough difficulty finding food for themselves, never mind the kittens. Bit graphic, but unless the wants dead kittens around his yard, he best do something...:fingerscr

rainbow
October 14th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Does he understand how quickly the cats can multiply? Fingers crossed that he does the right thing. :fingerscr

Frenchy
October 14th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Does he understand how quickly the cats can multiply? Fingers crossed that he does the right thing. :fingerscr
This is the thing ; I've been here for almost 2 years, I know the female had a couple of litters, but still there only 2-3 cats (always the same) around his yard. So either the kittens just leave or something else happens to them :sad:

Frenchy
October 14th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Just took the kittens in,need help,new thread in the health forum.

Prin
October 14th, 2006, 08:15 PM
why me?
Because you are a great person. If you were a horrible person, you'd just look the other way or not even look at all (like your neighbor...).

Good luck.:)