-->

Excuses for giving up pets give humans a bad name

technodoll
October 13th, 2006, 10:43 PM
my rant for tonight... :mad:

Excuses for giving up pets give humans a bad name
By Denise Flaim

Newsday

What is the most pathetic excuse for giving up an animal?

Living as we do amid an epidemic of tepid commitment and laser-sharp detachment, people routinely discard their companion animals. Some reasons like a child's allergies or homelessness are understandable. But many are not at least not to those who consider their animals family members.

Rescuers you know them by the plastic airline crates in their hatchbacks, and the Milk-Bones in their glove compartments are in the nonprofit business of cleaning up the messes people make with the sentient beings they've brought into their lives. With big hearts and tiny budgets, they grit their teeth as clueless, oftentimes obnoxious owners hand over the leash or cage, or tank.

Excuses they have heard them all before. But maybe you haven't.

Moving is a perennial reason for dumping animals. "It's everyone's favorite," says Barbara Williamson of Utah's Best Friends Society, who polled staffers. "Nobody here can even begin to understand how you move into a place that doesn't accept pets when you have pets."

Another common catalyst is the arrival of a sweetheart. New lovers or spouses who hate dog hair or slobber issue ultimatums, and their not-so-better halves comply.

The dissolution of a marriage is a prime reason for relinquishing animals, as is the arrival of diminutive two-leggers. "When the excuse is that the owner is having a baby, I send her to the president of Alaskan Malamute Rescue of New England," says Malamute fancier Susan Conant, who writes dog-centric mystery novels. "She is the mother of triplets."

Yep, family ties can be nooses for some animals. Marjorie Lipson of Long Island, N.Y.-based Second Chance Labrador Rescue offered up the interesting approach of blaming the kids: "My youngest child is now in college it was her dog that we purchased 14 years ago," one owner told her as he turned over his gray-faced dog. "We never wanted a dog the kids did."

Norwegian elkhound fancier Lexiann Grant of southeastern Ohio had this doozy: "An Akita was surrendered because the family decided to do away with their current 'Japanese landscaping' and go with a Southwestern theme."

File this under "craven compassion": Pam Dennison, author of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training," had a friend who took in an 18-month-old Schnauzer. "She had a kidney problem, and the owners 'loved her so much they couldn't bear to watch her die."' (Postscript: The friend kept the dog, switched her to a raw-food diet, and five years later, the dog is still going strong.)

Debra J. White of Tempe, Ariz., started volunteering at animal shelters in 1989. "I have seen and heard the most dumb, pathetic and lame excuses," she says. "The cat meows. The dog barks."

But nothing prepared her for this beaut, delivered by a pregnant woman who was jettisoning her child substitute to make room for the real thing.

"My fetus," she proclaimed, "is allergic to the dog."

Copyright 2006 The Seattle Times Company

Shaykeija
October 14th, 2006, 12:51 AM
May she have a 1000 hour labour.:evil:

rainbow
October 14th, 2006, 01:15 AM
I have always been appalled at people that give up their pets "because they are moving". :mad:

I hate the "new lover" one because what kind of person would you be living with if he/she wasn't an animal lover? :rolleyes:

The Akita story and the Schnauzer story absolutley blew me away. :eek:

And, as far as the pregnant woman, I hope her kid has the worst allergies ever. :evil:

Frenchy
October 14th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Yep,allergies are a big hit,and they always come up suddenly,after years of owning the pet :confused: :frustrated:

mummummum
October 14th, 2006, 02:00 AM
When my first SO gave me the "It's me or the dog" ultimatum with my last dawgy, I asked him whether he needed help packing.

Since then I've told that "funny story" to all men very soon into the relationship to let them know that the proverbial screen door WILL bang them on the #ss on their way out if they consider my dawg(s) a "deal breaker".

I've also heard someone in rescue say that another excuse used is that the colour no longer goes with the furniture, they didn't expect the dog to get that big, they want the dog to be with someone who has "time and space"... duh!!!!!!! Where are the "Stupid Police" when you need them???

You know, Declan came with all sorts if "warnings" about his so-called "bad behaviours" and that he had spent so much time in shelter and then was returned to the rescue because of the "bad behaviours". Now, trust me when I say I am no dog trainer and a lousy disciplinarian ~ but I only have to verbally correct Declan ONCE in everything he does which is not acceptable.

Sometimes I'll see the ads in Craigslist or Kijijii and wonder "What, you think this is like shopping and you can just keep getting a dog and dumping them/ returning them until you find the perfect Size 0 ?????"

Frenchy
October 14th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Sometimes I'll see the ads in Craigslist or Kijijii and wonder "What, you think this is like shopping and you can just keep getting a dog and dumping them/ returning them until you find the perfect Size 0 ?????"
Or my favorite add; dog too big for our place,would exchange him for a little breed :mad: Now how sick is that! :mad:

rainbow
October 14th, 2006, 02:11 AM
Where are the "Stupid Police" when you need them???

They're probably the ones that are returning the dogs. :frustrated:

mummummum
October 14th, 2006, 03:16 AM
I hear ya. I've always thought that "Animal-People" are able to see their animals as thinking, feeling beings with rights, responsibilities and capabilities where as "Animal-Owners" (and this is not a comment on the use of the word "owner", it's merely a descriptor used to distinguish relationships in this context), view their animals as entertainment and accessories.

As such, "Animal-People" have a greater respect for all life and because of this are better human beings.

mama samoan
October 14th, 2006, 06:11 AM
One time while returning some of my fosters for health check-ups to the shelter that I used to foster for, there was a woman surrendering her cat. Her story was that the cat no longer matched the new carpet that she had put down in her home. After the paper work instead of her leaving she goes thru to check out what else was up for adoption. I caught her checking out dogs, puppies and the rabbits. To make it all worse somehow she had her child with her, probably about 7 or 8 yrs. old. SHE was asking her child about whether they should get a puppy or a rabbit. I quickly informed the people at the shelter front desk what was going on, and then told the shelter manager and every worker that I could find. I didnt want her to adopt and I wanted them all to try and recognize her should she come back another day. I felt sorry for the kid, because the message he was getting was that he could be replaced also.

Prin
October 14th, 2006, 10:16 AM
I don't know if the kids see it like that or see animals as just exchangeable objects apart from them. Either way, it's not a good example at all.:sad:

Lise
October 14th, 2006, 10:19 AM
When we got Nell,the reason her previous family gave her up was they developed other interests.Unbelievable.

joeysmama
October 14th, 2006, 09:05 PM
The one about the Akita made me gasp out loud. Animated decor ??

What I don't get is how you can live with an animal and not have any feeling for it? How do they not see that doggie or kittie as a dependent creature? Doesn't that make them feel any sort of compassion ?? My heart breaks when I have to leave Cooper at the groomer and I know I'll be picking him up in an hour or so. But HE has no sense of time, so I feel guilty and horrible the whole time.

Byrd
October 14th, 2006, 09:28 PM
The Akita story has to be the worse, but the 14 YO is a close second, how could you give something up after that long?

I had a lot of trouble finding an apartment because of Willow, but I kept looking and found one, I would have moved back in with my mom or something if I couldn't, there was no way I was giving her up!!!! Geez and she was only 7-months-old so I shouldn't have been too attached, right? (before anyone gets mad, that was a joke!).

I'm also allergic to dogs, and have been told by several doctors not to have pets, sorry, but I'll suffer for that joy in my life. Wolf was 13 when I was told this, but he lived until 15 and I got Willow 6 months later.

Oh, how I hate 'disposable pets'!!!!!

technodoll
October 14th, 2006, 11:45 PM
oh man you just HAVE to read this... from http://www.echodogs.org/reasons.htm: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I am a rescuer in Ohio, and I must say, my absolute least favorite reason for surrendering a dog was, and I am quoting, "the stupid dog got pregnant." Apparently it was the poor "stupid" girl's fault for letting herself be tied outside while in heat, and for not taking herself to the vet to be spayed. Oh, by the way, he kept one of the puppies. At least the mamma dog is spayed now, and won't ever make that "stupid" mistake again."

"Because he flattens the grass when he sits on it."

"I heard a reason a lady dumped her dog that will blow your mind. It's not military but sad all the same. She was redecorating her home and she bought new furniture. Well her dalmation no longer matched the furniture so she got rid of him. That's what I call sick!!!"

the rest of the article just keeps getting more and more :yell:

Byrd
October 15th, 2006, 12:21 AM
You might want to change the little colon at the end of your link to an 'l' the link didn't work until I changed it.

Sitting here reading that, and you look at your dog/cat/bird/fish whatever, and think "I could never do that". Breaks my heart. I really wish I could go out and adopt an 'older' dog.

Prin
October 15th, 2006, 12:25 AM
like this?
http://www.echodogs.org/reasons.html
:confused: it doesn't work for me either way...:o

Byrd
October 15th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Oh, no, no 'l'. Like this: http://www.echodogs.org/reasons.htm

Prin
October 15th, 2006, 12:37 AM
I shouldn't have looked.

"A shelter worker overheard the mother say to the little girl "I TOLD you if you didn't clean your room, I'd get rid of the dog". This said as the little girl is crying terribly, and the dog is whining, being taken away."

:sad: :sad: :sad:

rainbow
October 15th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Beyond unbelievable :eek: .....

"He's just too stupid to be housebroken," was the reason given for the last pup I took into rescue. They'd only had the pup a few weeks and were "training" it, if you can call it that, with the "rub it's nose in it and beat it if it has an accident but don't let it out until it's bladder is about to burst" method."

technodoll
October 15th, 2006, 09:53 AM
the summary... :(

1. "Got too big." (Particularly Rotties).
In rescue- speak, this means the dog was never trained, socialized, neutered, and exercised, so it got out of control.

2. "We're having a baby."
Yes, there are concerns with pets and children. But properly trained, introduced and SUPERVISED, there generally isn't a problem.

3. "My wife is allergic."
Often hard to believe that after you've had a dog for five years your adult spouse suddenly developed an allergy.

4. "We're moving to another state."
What state doesn't allow pets?

5. "We bred our dog because we wanted our children to see the "miracle of birth" but now we can't find homes for the puppies."
(This one makes me want to pull my hair out. Rent a video.)

6. "Barks all night."
So would I if I was tied up in a yard all alone.

7. "My dog doesn't like my new boyfriend/girlfriend." (or vice versa)
Perhaps there's a reason? Even if there isn't, do you think it's OK to dump a companion who has dedicated its life to you to for one who just came along and doesn't even respect you enough to get along with a beloved companion?

Byrd
October 15th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Makes me sick. All of those things can be fixed and shouldn't result in giving up your companion!! :(

The 'doesn't match the decor' is the worse IMHO. Horrible!!! :mad:

Oh, I wish I had the money to give some abandoned older dogs a nice retirement. :( :(

MoodIndigo1
October 16th, 2006, 12:33 AM
One of my colleagues had her cat euthanized because she had chosen him to match her decor (neutral-beige-sand type), and she had gotten new furniture and had her place repainted, so she was going to get another colour cat.

I thought she was one in a billion. These stories make me both furious and sad.

BTW, in the 14 years I knew her, she never found a husband, though she said she wanted one, because her criteria were too high. He had to be wealthy, handsome, in good health. The fact that she was evil-tempered, mean-looking and whiny didn't deter her from her conviction that she deserved the very best.

HunterXHunter
October 16th, 2006, 08:52 AM
It's sometimes hard finding someone that you like, that likes pets/animals as well :( (I'm not worried about Hunter not liking them because Hunter simply wags his furry butt at anyone and everyone :p :dog: ) I've passed up on some chances of asking people out because they were either: a) had bad experiences with dogs and were afraid, b) didn't like the fur/drool that *could* get on them, or c) all of the above :frustrated:

~michelle~
October 16th, 2006, 09:54 AM
this post has made me sick, literally, my tummy hurts. this is so sad and Ive seen people who just write off their pets. My mom was trying to tell me to have someone watch my dog for a couple of months so i could move in with her and save some money to get a new place (she cant have the dog there) and she doesnt realize why i refuse to do it. i made a commitment to my pets to love and care for them, not throw them to the curb when times got tough..... But with the current societal mind frame everything is disposable. hence all the kids living on the streets and the numerous divorces
never in a million years would i go out with someone who didnt love dogs and cats...... its one of those fundementals to a relationship. Especially since as a dog owner you have to do some schedualing around them..... non-pet owners just don't understand the level of commitment and love

Byrd
October 16th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Would you date someone that didn't get along with your child? Same thing. I dated someone who hated Willow, gave the ole 'me or her' ultimatum... guess who walked out the door.

Same as above, I made a commitment, for life! I vow to keep it no matter what!!!!

kimglenwood
October 16th, 2006, 05:42 PM
I shouldn't have looked.

"A shelter worker overheard the mother say to the little girl "I TOLD you if you didn't clean your room, I'd get rid of the dog". This said as the little girl is crying terribly, and the dog is whining, being taken away."

:sad: :sad: :sad:

i've had this experience volunteering at my local shelter and its the worst thing I've ever seen done to a child and the poor poor animal that has to come in there!!! good post so true