Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

We're having a "Friday the 13th" week.

dogmelissa
October 13th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Last Friday as I crawled into bed with my bf, and after tucking my pooch into his kennel, feeding everyone and while waiting for one of my 3 kitties to come and cuddle me, I voiced my thanks; for my health, for the health of my pets, for the health of those around me.. blah blah blah.
Saturday the bf was working on some renos in our basement (where Taz eats) and as a result, removed some trim for the wood panelling (left the nails in) and placed them on the floor. We went out for dinner and when we got home, I took Taz his food, and waited for him to come upstairs. When he didn't show up at the expected time, I realized that he must have gotten into our crawl space through the wall that had no panels on it, so I went down to try to get him out (nothing in there to hurt him, we just don't want him in there). Managed to step on one of the trim things, and pierced the sole of my foot with a nail. Ouch.
Sunday we had Thanksgiving dinner at bf's mom's, and I again felt thankful for the health of everyone around me (though a little enraged that bf's brother & wife have "ordered" a mutt from a "breeder" in another province and still paid $600 for it). When we got home, I noticed Aubrie looked a little sad, so I picked her up and gave her some cuddles. She perked up and when she'd left, only then did I notice the blood spot on my shirt. Grabber her again, turned her upside down and noticed a nasty abcess on her bum (next to her anus). I didn't think it was life threatening so I locked her in the bathroom in the hopes that a "regular" (non-emergency) vet clinic might be open in the morning. Being that it was Canadian Thanksgiving, there wasn't, so I took her to emerg where she was diagnosed with an anal gland rupture, treated and back home a few hours later with a 10 day course of anti-biotics, some pain meds, a cone on her head and a shaved bum.
Last night I went into Aubrie's "quarantine room" and let Rusty come in for a visit. Noticed her acting strangely, and when I checked, her lower left canine tooth was sticking straight out from her mouth, like at a 90 degree angle from how it's *supposed* to be. :( So off she goes to my regular vet today... and what should have been a 20 minute drive turned into a fight against construction and a 45 minute drive. When we finally get there, and get in, Rusty needs surgery (which I expected) to remove the tooth.

It's Friday the 13th today, but my whole week has basically been a nightmare. I'm so looking forward to getting Rusty home, having a nice warm bath and relaxing tonight. My foot is fine, Aubrie is getting better, Rusty will be fine, and Taz & Cube have so far been unaffected.
If you're religious, please pray that the other 2 furry ones in my house remain healthy. And please someone remind me that *next* thanksgiving, I'm not allowed to verbalize anything I'm thankful for that could backfire!!!

Thanks for reading.
Melissa

chico2
October 13th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Melissa,I symphatize,usually things happens in a cluster,so it will be clear sailing for you from now on:fingerscr
A hot bath,in solitude,without cats or dogs,can work wonders:cat: :dog:

Prin
October 13th, 2006, 06:03 PM
:grouphug:
:fingerscr that it just gets better from here on.

mafiaprincess
October 13th, 2006, 07:35 PM
:grouphug:
I'm sorry hun, next week has to be so much better...

Byrd
October 13th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Things always seem to happen in three's... so there ya go, all done.

rainbow
October 13th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Sorry to hear about all your bad luck. :grouphug:

dogmelissa
October 14th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Thanks for all the support everyone! I feel much better now that Rusty is at home and seems to be ok. She had some pretty major work done on her mouth and ... well, let's just say it involved a drill. My vet said that there's a risk that she could develop a bone infection or have some abnormal bone growth, so we have to keep a really close eye on it for a few months, but that she's pretty confident everything will be ok. At least her meds are all liquid, so I won't have to cause her too much discomfort to give them to her. Poor thing has a sore throat from the breathing tube, and is spaced out on the kitty-morphine they gave her, but she seems ok otherwise.
Thanks for the :grouphug: they really did help. Didn't get to have my bath, but I'm going to bed early so I'm sure I'll feel better tomorrow.

I'd like to believe that bad things come in 3's, too, so I'm trying. Feel like maybe I should buy a lottery ticket, I think I'm due for a pleasant surprise. :fingerscr

Thanks again everyone,
Melissa