Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dark Moles on White Doggies

jawert1
October 13th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Hello all, I had to take Simon to the vet this morning as he had a black mole on his leg that had gotten way bigger in the past week and started to bleed. He came out of surgery today ok, the vet isn't sure what to make of it and sent it off for testing. Is it common for dogs to get melanomas like humans? I'm just sad and scared right now, so my normal common sense is out the window. If anyone has suggestions on how to proceed with him or even ideas on how to keep him from licking the stitches on his leg (e-collar won't stop him much), I'm open.

jesse's mommy
October 13th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Awww, jawert, here's a hug for you and Simon from me and Jesse. :grouphug: Poor Simon. How is he doing now?

Prin
October 13th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Maybe in his past life, if his fur was thinner, he got some sun exposure, but IMO, he's too young still...

:fingerscr

Poor you and Simon. :grouphug:

jawert1
October 13th, 2006, 10:08 PM
He's home and resting, I wish it were comfortably, but I can't take the e-collar off of him for more than 2 seconds without him trying to get at his leg. So he's my little blue flower that's pretty well still zonked, he was too wobbly this afternoon so I carried him up 4 flights of stairs. The things we do for our bebbehs :/ Peaches is playing nurse, she keeps bringing him toys and laying them around him like a lil stuffie coccoon, she's just happy to have him home more than anything. I am positive everything will come out ok, he's my lil trooper :love:

Prin
October 13th, 2006, 10:18 PM
:grouphug:

(talk about stamina though- bringing him up 4 flights of stairs...:eek: )

jawert1
October 13th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Both of my knees are paying for it tonight, thankfully we're having a living room slumber party so none of us has to wander far. I have done a bit of research, and what I've found is early stage melanomic tumour only happens in 4-7% of the canine world (loving those odds already) and based on the location (his leg), he's got a pretty good chance of survival (even if as a tripod) if it even IS melanoma.

My question to the vet was, how does one get a squirmy Pointer to stand still for a daily slathering of sunscreen? Especially since mine is a good clock - I can tell what time of day it is by the location of Simon laying in the sun (he travels as it does). His response...good luck there, I'm sure you'll figure something out!

And he's the expert?? (j/k, love my vets!)

rainbow
October 13th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Hugs for you :grouphug: and Simon. :grouphug:

Fingers crossed for the results. :fingerscr :fingerscr

Prin
October 13th, 2006, 10:35 PM
You just have to get better uv filters on your windows...:shrug: :D