Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi to all.

babygiraffe123
October 13th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Hi all. I'm new here. My name's Kari, I'm 24, and I live in Cambridge, Ontario. I am the owner of 2 cats. A grey, 6 year old female cat named Smokey and a 4 year old black male cat named Midnight. In a few months, I will also be the proud owner of a German Shepherd puppy.

I do have a question, though. I know all about caring for dogs, but the one area I'm kind of unfamiliar with, is how do I get my cats socialized with my new puppy? I want my animals to get along, but my cat Smokey is really territorial and she gets extremely angry when other animals are present in my home. Again, my question is, what can I do to ensure that my animals tolerate each other? :confused:

Hunter's_owner
October 13th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Hello, and welcome. :)

To introduce the puppy to the cats, I would make sure that the cats can go to the puppy on their terms. Do not force it. Make sure that the cats have places where the puppy can't get, and that these "cat-friendly" places have litter, food, water, etc., so that they can feel safe.

I have a 5 year old lab, and my room-mate has 2 cats, they can now tolerate each other. At first Hunter would try to run after the cats because they would run away. Hunter loves cats, and has met and got along with several, but he doesn't understand when they try to get away :(.

Another suggestion told to me was to put the puppy's scent on a blanket or something, by rubbing it over the dog and then place it near the cats, so they can get used to his scent without having to face the dog.

Good luck with it all, and I'm sure you will receive more helpful suggestions from others on the forum.

jessi76
October 13th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Hunter's_owner gave you great advice already... just to add to it... be sure to NEVER allow your new pup to chase the cats - even though he may be just "playing" and has no intention of harming. as long as you nip that behavior in the bud (which I'm sure you'll have to do many many many many times) eventually it will sink in that the cats are to be respected.

I have an older cat, who was NOT tolerant of my dog at all... I provided a "safe" zone for her, never forced interaction, kept the pup from harrassing her, and she did evenually accept him on HER terms - they're not best friends or anything (much to my dog's dismay) but they can be in the same room together now. my other cat accepted the pup from day 1, and they actually ARE best friends. sometimes it goes smoothly, and other times it takes a while for them to learn to co-exist. Just try to make it as least stressfull as possible.

rainbow
October 14th, 2006, 01:17 AM
You've gotten excellent advice already so all I can add is welcome to the forum and we'd love to see pics of Smokey and Midnight....and also your new puppy when he/she arrives. :cat: :dog: