Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

feral cat and shelter

Misha_Phillip
October 13th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Hello,
I just have a question regarding a feral cat that I have living in my backyard. I have made him a small shelter for the cold weather, but he does not seem to know that it is there. I have tried placing tuna and other food in the shelter, but it has not worked.
I guess when the weather gets cold enough he will hopefully eventually find it, but I was just wondering if there are any other suggestions to get him to use the shelter.

I appreciate your suggestions!

vfrohloff
October 14th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Do you feed your feral cat every day? If so, put his food in the shelter for a few days to see if he will go in it. My guy didn't like the idea at first, but once he realized it was the only way he was going to get fed he went in it no problem. Also, try to put the shelter in a quiet place where there's not too many people around. Once it gets cold enough he'll figure it out.

Misha_Phillip
October 14th, 2006, 07:29 PM
I do feed the cat several times everyday. Today I tried to put some salmon in the shelter and he actually went inside and ate it. His shelter is in a very quiet area, but he is a very scared cat. I will try to feed him inside of the shelter so that he becomes familiar with it.

I do think that when it gets really cold then he will find it.

Thanks for the suggestion!:cat:

rainbow
October 14th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Does he run away when he sees you? If not, then there is a good chance that he will learn to trust you. If so, are you planning on getting him neutered? Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

PetFriendly
October 14th, 2006, 10:05 PM
The shelter might be in a place the cat isn't fond of... Maybe it can't see its surrounding well enough, or there's too much traffic, be it human or creature.
Or, if its truly feral, it just might not be cold enough for him to want to bunker down. :)

Misha_Phillip
October 16th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Luigi is a fairly wild cat that pretty much makes a run for it every time that he sees me or anyone else. We recently trapped his companion Katarina and got her spayed and she now lives on a farm. When Katarina was around, he was friendlier. Now that she is gone, he has become fairly wild and very cautious of people, so catching him seems like a very difficult task.

As far as the shelter is concerned, it is in a very quiet area. I don't really see that as being the problem. I think that when it does get cold enough that he will use it...I hope so!

If there are any other suggestions, please keep me posted!