Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Berzerk Puppy!

H.P.
October 12th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Hi! Sydney has learned that she is able (but not allowed) to jump up on the daybed. She does know the "off" command. We have been using it sucessfully with other furniture for a while, and she has learned that she is not allowed on other furniture with out an invite. Every evening, she goes berzerk. Starts running through the house full speed, flinging her toys up in the air, jumping on and flying back off the daybed. There is literally no time to give her the off command. I am afraid that she will get hurt, the way she jumps off. :eek: We go to the park everyday, for at least an hour, so she is getting plenty of exercise (I think). We come home, she eats, takes a little nap. We do some training, and playing, then start to calm down for the evening. Things will be fine for a bit, then she just jumps up, and starts going berzerk, the exact time varies, but it happens every night! I can't keep her out of the family room, as it is where I am most of the time (small house). I have tried sitting on the daybed, and trying to "block her", but have not had much luck with that. She comes barrelling at me very fast, and I have to get both hands in the right place to stop her. :shrug: She is 4 months old and 27 pounds, and over all getting to be a great dog. Sorry this is so long, I was trying to give you the info that you would need to give me suggestions. Thanks!

jesse's mommy
October 12th, 2006, 07:56 PM
It's completely normal. :thumbs up Sounds like your dog gets recurring episodes of ZOOMIES!!! My dog still does it and she will be three in January. My parents dog did it evertime my honey would come over until she was about three. I don't really do anything except get out of the way and move anything that she may trip on. :D

LavenderRott
October 12th, 2006, 08:02 PM
ROFLMAO!!!!!

We all roll on the floor when Rusty gets the zoomies! His dogbed (which he refuses to sleep on) goes flying as he barrels under it, he runs around the dining room table legs and up and down the hallway - growling the entire time!

Amy's Mom
October 12th, 2006, 08:04 PM
hi
Amy does this at least once a day after we come back from a walk. she will fly down the hall, jumping over the furniture, race through the kitchen into the bedroom and then does it all over again about 3 or 4 times. When she's finished, she has a drink of water and lies down for a while. I call it her crazy period. It is actually quite funny to watch. I just get things out of the way that can hurt her and let her go to it.
She is a 2 or so year old miniature poodle.

Goldens4Ever
October 12th, 2006, 08:13 PM
LOL!!! My girls (1.5 & 3) still do that, inside and outside! They get these sudden burst of energy and run around like crazy. Except, they are so big now that we have to get out of the way or they will knock us over :evil:
Perfectly normal :)

One suggestion that I (& Technodoll) made on another thread pertaining to a puppy with suggested 'aggression' issues, would be to pin your dog when you can catch her. Pin her down and hold her there for a few seconds while saying, "Good girl, CALM, Good girl, CALM." This will put her in submission where you are in complete control while showing her that you want her to calm down. You may need to do this several times in a row if she keeps being too hyper until she catches on to how you want her to behave. When we did this to one of our dogs, we would rub the backs of her front legs while we had her pinned down. Not only did she grow to love it, she also was very calm afterwards; it seemed to drain the energy out of her and mellow her out.

Anyway, your pup is still so incredibly young, but it is not too early to start teaching her how to calm down using the technique above. I miss those puppy days when our girls were just little tykes, so eager to learn new things! Then, after exherting all their energy, they just plop over for a long nap on our laps :cloud9:

Hunter's_owner
October 12th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Yep definetly the zoomies :D . Hunter is 5 now and he still does it. I would prefer he do it outside, but I think they are uncontrollable :p , he just gets this look in his eyes :crazy:

H.P.
October 12th, 2006, 09:52 PM
OK, well at least I know it has a name! It is fun to watch, I am just afraid that she will get hurt flying off the daybed. I guess I will just try to keep it blocked and enjoy her zooms! :p

angeldogs
October 13th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Jag gets the zoomies.And likes to tear down the hallway and try to stop on the laminate flooring.Which doesn't work to good.But it's funny when he gets going.

BusterBoo
October 13th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Harley (age 4 yrs) and Buster (age 5 months) both get the Zoomies! Sometimes Harley just stands there and Buster will run circle 8s around him, then down the carpeted hallway and back onto hardwood floors....usually sliding into the wall at that point. If the patio door is open, he runs outside, runs circles on the deck, then into the screen room, under the picnic table (usually hitting his head a couple of times:) , back into the house for another round and then......flops.

total time elapsed .....probably less than 4 minutes! It does happen once, sometimes twice a day and we just get out of his way and let him go. I have small dogs (shih tzus) but they can still knock you over when they go at full speed. :crazy:

jessi76
October 13th, 2006, 09:08 AM
hee hee hee.... zoomies! tucker does the basenji-500 through my house... I've learned to stand clear, hold onto anything breakable, and hope for the best. (and the cats have learned to stay perfectly still and out of the way!) it's really funny when they ALL get the zoomies... kitty and doggy zoomies... sounds like a herd of elephants in my house.

OntarioGreys
October 14th, 2006, 06:58 PM
It's normal even my 7 month 12 pounder does the same when he has the zoomies :D

rainbow
October 14th, 2006, 07:37 PM
My two boys who are 15 months and 21 months old now still occassionally get the zoomies. Because they are so big now I just open the back door after their first lap and they continue on in the back yard. :D

kimglenwood
October 14th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks guys for all your posts, my dog does that too but she has lots of problems ...I am so glad to hear this is perfectly normal!!

rainbow
October 14th, 2006, 09:30 PM
If you need help with any of her problems start a new thread and maybe someone here can help. :)