Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please help!!! A seizure? Neurological?

puppy4ever
October 12th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I'll be taking my 1 1/2 yr old dog into the vet very soon. The scariest thing happened today and I'm freaking out and so upset. :sad: :( :sad: I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of anything like this? :sad:

We went for a walk up a steep hill. He met three dogs on the way up. He loves dogs! Then we went through an area that might have had thorns. So when we get to the top, he all of sudden started walking funny. First he started sticking his front legs out straight and high in front of him, then they sort of turned in...he was having problems with them. Then the front legs seemed fine. This then happened with his hind legs and then all of his back end. He seemed to lose all coordination. I then laid down with him for about 5 minutes & gave him water. He was shaking. After that we was perfectly fine.

Only the vet will know for sure (hopefully) but it was the strangest & most frightening thing I've been through with him. I was thinking maybe he got dehydrated or was hyperventalating with the excitment of being around dogs. Or maybe the halter that we used was too tight around his front legs, maybe thorns (but I checked and there were none)...maybe his nails hae gotten too long...

It sounds neurological in nature though. Please, please help...I'm so upset. Has anyone heard of something like this?

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2006, 04:56 PM
We had a dog that had one (and only one) grand mal seizure in the woods. It sounds sort of like what happened with your baby. He stumbled a bit, then went down on his own. Afterward, he was groggy enough that he needed a guide--he almost walked into a tree--so I put him next to my leg and he followed it all the way back to the car. The vet thought it might have been hypoglycemia since it had been a while since his morning meal and he'd been having a fine time running through the woods. We started carrying treats with us after that and never had another episode.

With any luck, that's exactly what your event will turn out to be. :fingerscr

Prin
October 12th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Maybe it was a seizure? Maybe he touched or ate a toxic plant?

Good luck at the vet.:fingerscr

jesse's mommy
October 12th, 2006, 05:18 PM
How soon is very soon? I would get to the vet now. They probably need to test some blood and do some other tests. They really are the only people who can help and correctly diagnose if this is indeed a seizure or not. Good Luck.

puppy4ever
October 12th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Thank you!!! I hope that's it too! :fingerscr He didn't eat much either in the morning...OMG I really hope that is it!!! I can even live with epilepsy but I don't want to see him suffer with any awful neurological disease. :(

I'm so glad it was just the one for your boy! Frightening isn't it?

puppy4ever
October 12th, 2006, 05:23 PM
How soon is very soon? I would get to the vet now. They probably need to test some blood and do some other tests. They really are the only people who can help and correctly diagnose if this is indeed a seizure or not. Good Luck.

There is something wrong with the vet's phone line...I keep calling. I've left a messsage. :mad: If they don't get back to me soon. I'm going somewhere else.

jesse's mommy
October 12th, 2006, 05:25 PM
That really sucks. I hope you get through soon. :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2006, 05:43 PM
We had our dog to the vet within a few hours but by then the blood chemistry was normal. So the grand mal 'diagnosis' was an educated guess by the vet.

It was very scary--it's an awful feeling watching your dog lose control like that for any reason!

Hope you get into the vet soon! How is your baby now? Acting normally again?

puppy4ever
October 12th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Still no word from the vet's office...:mad:

He is fine...he was actually totally fine right after the incident...after he had a rest (and water)...he was back to his old self again! Running and having so much fun outside off leash. I haven't noticed anything at all strange since then.

I just noticed your message Prin! Thank you! It's possible about the plant but no vomitting or anything like that..I was sort of wondering that too.

Yes he is totally fine now. I'll let you all know what happens at the vet! Thanks.

rainbow
October 12th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Glad your boy seems to be fine now. Good luck at the vet. :fingerscr

puppy4ever
October 13th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Finally got into to see the vet. He thinks it was probably a seizure but is going to run some blood & urines tests. Wow 10 minutes with the vet & a few tests cost over $300! Is that excessive do you think? (obviously my guy is worth it but I was shocked!)

hazelrunpack
October 13th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Lab tests can get pretty pricey--especially if they have to send them out. $300 wouldn't be unreasonable around here, but our vets seem to be pricier than some country vets I've heard of (we use a city vet about 45 miles from here since it's convenient to hubby's work and we're familiar with them since we used them when we lived there).

If it turns out your dog will need long-term meds, you might want to ask around at other clinics and see if the meds would be less expensive there.

But so far it's looking okay for your dog? Did the vet say what might have brought on the seizure and/or how likely it is to recur?

puppy4ever
October 13th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I didn't say much about the visit did I? I think I'm still in shock over the incident and the bill! The vet didn't say much at all really..just that if the tests comes back negative that the diagnosis will be epilepsy. He said that it usually starts with small seizures and gets worse. If he has more seizures he will need meds. That's it so far. I will hear about the results of the test later. I'm pretty sad today.

hazelrunpack
October 13th, 2006, 01:20 PM
:sad: Sorry you're feeling blue. I can sympathize. Waiting for test results can make you feel helpless and frustrated.

Maybe it'll turn out to be a one-time deal and you'll never see another seizure. Is your dog's breed one that's prone to epilepsy? It might be just have been a freaky thing.

You're doing all the right things--vet care, tests, loving your dog... Can't do much more than that, but think good thoughts! :fingerscr

puppy4ever
October 13th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Thank you hazelrunpack!!! Well he has some GSD in there and they are a prone breed. I think the vet's visit will be good for the tests.

I find sometimes that I myself have been better at diagnosing than vets...that sounds egotistical but it's true. The fact is that they spend like 10 minutes with my boy...this time the vet didn't even ask me any questions about anything. Sometime I really wonder. :rolleyes:

The last vet I saw diagnosed my guy with giardia (and gave him medicine for it) without asking questions. I looked up his symptoms online then started looking at his poop and found a round worm in it. Personally my experience is not good with vets at all...you always have to question for sure. i.e. shots every year :rolleyes: Tests are tests though I guess I'll have to just wait & see.

He was over at my dad's house before this happened...and I just found out that my dad fed him canned tuna water - from many, many cans. I wonder if that might have something to do with it...like lead (or mercury?) poisoning...?
I notice that he has had gas too that last few days!

hazelrunpack
October 13th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Keep losing the connection, and I just lost a longer reply to this. So synopsis:

The tuna thing is well worth pursuing, although it might mean another test :eek: But you read enough about mercury in tuna to wonder. (One side note: tuna gives our dogs gas, too :) )

Might want to ask if there could have been some bacteria (and so, some bacterial toxins) in the tuna water that could have caused the symptoms. Any idea how old the tuna water was?

And you're right--vets can't know your pet as well as you do! We've discovered some things that our vets have missed, too, but we've also been known to be way off-base. Usually it's a collaborative effort. If we ever felt that our input was being disregarded out of hand by the vet, though, we'd change vets.

Hope this all works out well for you! :fingerscr

puppy4ever
October 13th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Thank you for retyping (hate when that happens!)..interesting about the tuna/gas connection! The tuna water wasn't old I don't think. I know lead can cause seizures but I'm not sure about mercury.

I agree with you about the collaborative effort with the vet!
Thank you so much! You have no idea how much this thread has eased my mind!

PS If you are losing connection here (opposed to an internet connection...there is a way to stay logged in)...there is a thread about it in the suggestions area - I posted about it! Not sure if that is the problem or not though.

hazelrunpack
October 13th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Hope all your news is good news :fingerscr The Pack and I are rootin' for you! Please make sure you post when you get the results back.

PS Nope...losing the internet connection. Old TDS phone lines (I think it stands for Too Damn Slow)... But thanks for the tip! :)

SuperWanda
October 14th, 2006, 09:03 AM
One of my dogs had a number of weird episodes that the vet called possible seizures - this happened coincidentally when I changed dry foods and a second time when I was recently introducing a different canned food.

I think it had to do with the food change because once I stopped giving these foods the problem disappeared. One thing that both foods had in common was that they contained rosemary and then I read that people should stay away from rosemary if they have epilepsy. I thought that was an interesting connection and although I am not 100% sure it was the rosemary I do stay away from foods that contain it - especially if it is higher up in the ingredient list - not just being used as a preservative.

Understanding that some breeds may be genetically susceptible I think it is also possible to bring on these episodes with exposure to certain ingredients (so it could have been the tuna water???) or , like Prin said, eating a toxic plant or chemical exposure. My hair dresser's dog had seizures after being exposed to chemicals used for their lawn - so there are a number of possibilities.

Prin
October 14th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Have you been to the vet yet?

Keep losing the connection, and I just lost a longer reply to this. Before you log in, click the "remember me" box. That helps keep you logged in.:)

puppy4ever
October 15th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Hey Prin - yes I was there already...over $300 and the vet kept calling my boy a "her" (goes to show that he didn't even look at the file or those parts!!!). No returned phone call...I'll be finding a new vet next time for sure.

Interesting SuperWanda about the food change...I have changed his food recently as well. About a week ago I changed to a dental type of formula for a bit (big chunks). Then there is the tuna of course.

I wonder if seizures can be brought on by extreme excitment? I noticed some people saying that online...their dog had a seizure after being too excited about something. Has anyone heard about anything like this?

puppy4ever
January 22nd, 2007, 02:05 AM
UPDATE

Just wanted to bump this to see if anyone has any more info or advice?

Since this incident, he has had one more episode....exactly the same type. It comes on when he is upset about something or overly excited. He loses control of his legs & can't walk in a straight line. He seems stunned...holds in paw up sort of loking at it. It's really sad to see. I guide him through it by getting him to lie down & telling him its ok.

Does this type of episode sound familiar to anyone? any advice?

Prin
January 22nd, 2007, 02:16 AM
No advice, but :grouphug:- it must be hard on you to feel so helpless about it. :grouphug: :goodvibes: