Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crate training now? Doggie daycare recommendations in Toronto?

HunterXHunter
October 12th, 2006, 11:07 AM
As some of you know, my dad will be gone for a month in November. Normally, we let Hunter have the run of the house when everyone is at work and usually somebody is home by 2pm (and the last person to leave the house leaves around 9:30ish, so Hunter is only alone for 4-5hrs). I work 8:30 - 4:30 but factoring in the travel time etc. I leave around 7:30 and home around 5:30, which is 10 hours :( !!! If left alone for such a long period of time, Hunter will destroy walls, etc. In this case, a crate would be appropriate in keeping him from destroying the place BUT 10 hours is waaaay to long for Hunter to be staying in a crate so I'm definitely not gonna do that, so I want to know if anybody in Toronto knows of any good doggie daycares that I can take Hunter to...?

Back to the crate thing: I still want to get a crate and have Hunter sleep in the crate in my room (my dad doesn't really allow Hunter to do that saying Hunter will disturb my rest because Hunter LOVES going to my room and playing there :frustrated:). I want to use the time that my dad is away to get teach Hunter to not be so excited and more obedient even when he's upstairs so that when my dad returns, Hunter will be all good and stuff and maybe my dad will change his mind :D . However, Hunter is almost 14 months old now and has never been in a crate so I don't know if it's still too late to teach him :confused:

Any advice on either issue is greatly appreciated :)

jessi76
October 12th, 2006, 12:06 PM
I don't think it's really ever "too late". just go about it as you would a puppy... there are many books, online resources, and even old posts on here about it. just go slow & keep it positive, as you would with a new pup.

mummummum
October 12th, 2006, 12:14 PM
There are so many doggy daycares in Toronto as well as walkers (which may be less expensive for you $15 per day v. $35 on average). I'm a downtowner so that's pretty much the limit of my experience but The Urban Dog in the Distillery District is good as is Tirebiters in Yorkville. You might want to look at : www.torontodogs.com and www.dogsx3.com