Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppy training

Katherine A
October 12th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Hi All: I have a 4 month old Jack Russell puppy & I am having problems house training her. For instance, last night before bed I took her out to do her businesses & no problem with the pee. I could tell she had to do poo but she kept running back to the door so we went in. I could still tell she had to go so I took her out three more times & nothing. We were back in the house for about 3 minutes & she did her poo in the house. She does this constantly. This morning we went through the same thing & I found two poos in the house. HELP! what am I doing wrong. Thank you. Katherine

t.pettet
October 12th, 2006, 11:48 PM
She seems to be getting mixed signals so I would leash her when you go out so she can't run to door, walk around or little play time (that will stimulate elimination) and stay out (patience) until she does her job. Don't just stand there staring at her and commanding her to do her thing, thats too much pressure and will make her more insecure. No scolding when she makes a mistake, don't make a big deal out of it. Lots of praise, small treat and she will eventually get the right idea. You could also take the poo from the house and put it in a spot that you want her to eliminate in so she makes the association. She is still a baby and mistakes will happen but it all comes down to patience and her being sure she's doing the right thing, with lots of assurance and praise from you. A routine (out at the same time every night -consistency) will help her understand what is expected of her.