Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hyperthyroid in Rocky

chico2
October 12th, 2006, 08:11 AM
My big boy,11yr old Rocky,after several tests and a whole day at the vets,has tested positive for Hyperthyroid(sp?)
He'll be on meds starting today and probably will be ok,but I still worry...still,I got an answer to what's wrong with him and I am happy about that and that it was not cancer or anything else deadly.
Anybody had a cat with this problem???

jiorji
October 12th, 2006, 10:44 AM
awwwwww poor Rocky. speedy recovery for him!:fingerscr

badger
October 12th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Don't worry, Chico, as long as he gets his meds in the correct dosage, he will be fine. My sister's tabby, who went to her rest at 20, was on the hyperthyroid meds for many years and had a great life, she was no less active and her fabulous hunting skills, alas, were not affected. Last year, my sister's Siamese was diagnosed as well, so it is not uncommon.
They can knock out the thyroid with radiation in an operation where the cat has to be isolated for two weeks afterwards to allow the radiation to subside, but I think it is usually reserved for animals who can't be stabilized on meds.
I hope Rocky is easy to pill, for some people that's the worst part!

chico2
October 12th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Thank's!!
Badger,for now he's only on 1/4pill twice a day,no problems hiding it in a spoonful of canned food.
He'll be checked again in a months time,to correct the dosage if needed.
My vet talked about radiation,but said it's very expensive and his problem is a mild one,so we'll see.
There are other options to pills,transdermal or in a treatform,but Rocky would not even touch the treatkind:D

Prin
October 12th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Just be watch his mood... I took those pills and they can be very depressing.:o

chico2
October 12th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Prin,right now I can live with a depressed cat(just kidding),he's been really agitated,eating everything in sight,dinking a lot(water;) and still lost a couple of lb's.
As soon as I open the fridge or eat anything,he's got to have a sniff or a taste.
Totally out of character,he used to be a finicky cat,that's why I took him to the vet,I thought he was diabetic,or had some sort of cancer or UTI.
But for sure,I am keeping an eye on him any moodchanges and such.

Prin
October 12th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Yeah, that sounds like me.:D (Except for the losing weight bit...:o)

Good luck, chico!:)

cpietra16
October 12th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Oh Chico, that is so common in older cats. My samson was diagnosed at 13 and finally passed on at the good old age of 22. He was never taken off the meds. The only thing I will tell you to watch out for is constipation. After 1 year on the meds we had to get Samson stool softeners because it was getting very hard to go on his own...no pun intended

chico2
October 13th, 2006, 06:25 AM
CPietra,thank's for the encouragement:cat: