Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Makes you want to cry..

mafiaprincess
October 11th, 2006, 05:35 PM
So my mom needed to go to the mall.. she doesn't drive, I get off work due to rain so we go. We stop by the only store locally that sells all animals :( and they have 2 cages of older shnoodles.. some cats.. and a cocker.......

The other 2 cockers had been sold at 800.. and because it too was getting older the price had been dropped to 600. Makes me want to cry. It was wailing and crying and rattling it's bars..

I'd never be able to drop money in another byb or mill's pocket, but damn it hurts my heart. A 13 yr old on another forum I frequent bought from a petstore.. and ranted for months that she learned the error of her ways so we needed to drop trying to educate her.. LAst week she saw a papillon in the same store.. and the owner gave her a lying sob story about the dog so she's desperate to drop the like grand or more on it..

I could never be one of those people.. You got educated about the evils of pet stores to turn around and possibly do it again.......... :yell:

Freaking hurts my heart though.. Such a lonely little cocker..

jiorji
October 11th, 2006, 07:02 PM
that's sad. But pets who get sold at pet stores most likely end up with people as impulse buys and then get returned because they're sick or got too big or it bit the 5 year old that lives at the house. They're just toys no matter what the size. But I tell you what....they deserve a good life too. Most of them will end up at the spca or get abused or mistreated, and saving an animal from a potential life of harassment and abuse is worth to buy from there. And some of you might judge me because of that, but I should I see someone return a puppy or cat because it got sick and the store won't pay to take it to the vet, i sure would jump in there and take it home to give it proper care, whether it came from a mill or not, they all deserve a painless life.

So this 13 year old...the lady she's getting this puppy from...what's the excuse? if nobody jumps in to save it, who knows where it'll end up?? I know pet stores euthanize animals because they can no longer get sold, so better get bought by a teen with good intentions or get dumped on the street. IMO anyways. sad really.

MyBirdIsEvil
October 11th, 2006, 07:15 PM
If you buy one dog from the pet store to save it, you're paying for them to buy several more dogs which will have the same fate. Is saving one dog worth it, when you're giving the pet store more money to buy more dogs and do the exact same thing with them?

jiorji
October 11th, 2006, 07:23 PM
...if someone RETURNS an animal and REFUSES to give it care. THe pet shop won't invest in taking it to the vet.

mafiaprincess
October 11th, 2006, 07:25 PM
I know mybird.. I won't be going back, not even to look because it will kill me. If I have to hold it it will really kill me. That little ones life I hope will be decent, but all I can think of is it's parents are stuck likely pumping out puppies.. wither as a mill or a byb.. and I can't give them money to keep doing it..

Cider is a mill dog, from a pet store, but I wasn't the buyer. My roomate after 4 months decided she couldn't take her home so she should go to the pound.. Cider was taken home before us from that pet store.. As a puppy she didn't act like their newly deceased 12 yr old or so dog so she was returned like a sweater that sits lumpy..

The 13 year old was told by the petstore that this 8 week old pup was taken home from the breeder to her friend.. who in turn abused this little guy hardcore and she took him and is selling him to a 'proper home'
For this all to have occurred he was what.. one week old when he left mom..
I assume someone will eventually buy that pup sob story or not.. But it kills me to see people who know what they've supported purchasing dogs again and again..

MyBirdIsEvil
October 11th, 2006, 08:06 PM
...if someone RETURNS an animal and REFUSES to give it care. THe pet shop won't invest in taking it to the vet.

No, they won't, and if someone comes in and buys that dog to "save" it, the pet store will use the money to buy several other dogs which they will treat the exact same way. When the pet store buys the dogs they're paying the breeders money which encourages them to breed even more puppies, so by saving the one dog you're causing the exact same thing to happen to even more dogs.

Both my dogs came from pet stores before we knew much about puppy mills, brokers and the like, but I'm not kidding myself by thinking I saved my dogs from the pet store, I'm sure the pet store took our money and bought more dogs which they'll sell to buy even more dogs, just like they do with everyone who buys a puppy from them.

Frenchy
October 11th, 2006, 08:10 PM
The other 2 cockers had been sold at 800..
I can't believe people would pay that kind of money for a dog in a petstore! maybe from a good breeder,but not a petstore ! :mad: No wonder BYB and Mills are laughing all the way to the bank.:mad:

mafiaprincess
October 11th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Frenchy.. My exroomie paid like 950 for Cider.. And she was like 1,150 till she got returned.. then she was used merchandise.. so she was sold at 8 something.. the 950 was after tax..

I've seen mini doxies in stores get bought at 1,500 in the first week they are there :(

Frenchy
October 11th, 2006, 08:21 PM
That's horrible. People think they're getting a great dog for that price,but they are only feeding the pet store,BYB and mills.:mad: Thank dog more and more people are aware of this ! There is hope :pray:

meb999
October 11th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I've stopped going into petstores after crying my little eyes out one too many times!! I think it's worse when it's the same breed as the one you own.

Last time I went into a petstore, there was a little boxer pup, a tiny, itty-bitty little puppy. He couldn't have been more than 5 weeks old, and was waaaayyyy skinny. I asked the lady about him and she said he was definetly 8 weeks old (yeah right :rolleyes: ) and that he was only skinny because he wasn't eating very well. I can still see his little wobbly legs. He could barely stand up. I cried for days on end, almost went to pick him up, but talked myself out of it, if I fork over 1000$ for him, I'll encourage the puppymill to make a dozen more just like him. I sometimes wonder where he is....I should've bought him.....poor little guy.....

meb999
October 11th, 2006, 10:13 PM
i feel blue now....:sad:

people suck

Prin
October 11th, 2006, 10:15 PM
aww, meb. You'll get that boxer the second time around, without paying the puppymills, when he really, really needs a great home.:love:

mafiaprincess
October 11th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I dig Meb.. I am upset for that cocker, I'm upset for the one in rescue I can't have. I'm one big sad mess now..

Prin
October 11th, 2006, 10:23 PM
There are just too many.:(

meb999
October 11th, 2006, 10:25 PM
it's so ridiculous....how can people send their family pet, that they've had for like 12 years to the SPCA to face the gas chamber and not think twice, and here we are crying over dogs we COULD have adopted....

*off to hug my little Buster now*

:grouphug:

mafiaprincess
October 11th, 2006, 10:31 PM
it's so ridiculous....how can people send their family pet, that they've had for like 12 years to the SPCA to face the gas chamber and not think twice, and here we are crying over dogs we COULD have adopted....

True enough eh.. I'm really upset right now.. I don't get how the roomie was going to just give Cider to a kill shelter.. 7 day no kill policy there.. "oh don't worry she'll be adopted in that time" riiight.

petfinder makes me sad.. people make me sad..

Angies Man
October 11th, 2006, 10:45 PM
If you buy anything from pet store scumbags, you're enabling them. If you need to feel bad about unadopted pets, visit (better yet volunteer) your local pound, humane society, or rescue shelter. Petshop scumbags don't care about animals--if dealing drugs, child prostitution, or passing counterfeit money were legal they'd be participating. So anything they tell you is probably a lie.