Lilly
October 11th, 2006, 11:51 AM
thanks for helping

Prin
October 11th, 2006, 11:59 AM
I'm no expert but could it be ringworm?

badger
October 11th, 2006, 01:34 PM
It doesn't sound like allergies to me. You didn't say if she was scratching. How is her health otherwise? Has she been tested for the two kitty viruses?

It's true that infected teeth can lead to infections elsewhere. Maybe you need to have a long conversation with your vet. Quite apart from the ordeal of oral surgery itself, I would be worried about the cat's general condition and whether she's strong enough to undergo an anaesthetic. If you have to choose between culture/biopsy/teeth and the vet strongly suspects a mouth infection, of course her teeth must be done, as soon as possible.

I don't know whether a culture or a biopsy would be best, but ask the vet to do the test that is likely to provide the most information. You need to know exactly what this is so it can be properly treated, instead of months of antibiotics, leading nowhere except possibly a hole in your pocket!

By the way, if you are dissatisfied with your vet, find another one. As I see it, part of their job description is communicating with the patient's advocate (that's you) and if they blow you off, they're not doing their job or they're doing it badly. Maybe someone from Cincinnati could recommed a vet who also uses alternative therapies, so you have a choice of options.