Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What the Vet said, and what I thought was a UTI...

jessymoka
October 11th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Hi...

Took 6 month old Abby to the vet monday night because I thought she had a UTI. She went from being pretty much potty trained to being in CRAZY places... like being while standing on hind legs, peeing on the couch pillows, peeing on me in bed, peeing after she'd been picked up... she is NOT a submissive urninator either.

SO... we go to the vet, and of course they do an in-house urinalysis.
He says her PH was 7.5, normal is 7.0 it was off a little but nothing alarming.
The dip stick did not pick up any blood in the urine.
He looked at the urine and found a small-tiny bit of blood, but nothing to indicate a UTI...

SO now stay with me here... He said her sodium charbo???something was off...like very noticably off.
They did an X-ray to see if she had stones, and thank goodness she did not.
I asked if it was a possibile that we caught it before the stones developed?
Because he had given some weird explanation of salt and water and it evaporating and then how the salt stays behind as a build up (it was his laymans terms for me) My mom is a nurse, and my dad has had stones so this was not unfamiliar to me.
He said the concentrate of her urine was good, showing that she is not drinking to much water, and not to little.
I asked what this was going to mean for us????????:confused: :shrug: :( :confused: :sad: :confused: :shrug:

Was Abby going to be okay, would she be prone to stones, etc.
He said normally a dog prone to stones they put on a U/D diet (not sure what a U/D diet is) but because she is only 6 months old that would be a concern because UD diets are low in protein and she needs the protein being a growing puppy.

So for now he put her on an oral pill form antibiotic 2 times daily (can't remember the name, and I am at work).
My mom said maybe it is just a bladder infection, UTI, whatever and it's so early that the test was off, I don't know...
I go back in two weeks when the antibiotics are gone with another urine speciman....

Someone, please give me some thoughts on this, experience, idea's whatever.
I am freaking out :(

Thanks!!!!!

Otto-San
October 11th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Yup, I'd be concerned too. Sounds like your vet is related to my (previous) one. For the moment, I would finish w. the meds and then take it from there. Also, why not search the web for the name of the medication prescribed - this may give you an indication of what the vet THINKS he/she is treating. I bet the diet is Hill's Science Diet - right?

I went thru a similar scare with my poodle and elevated liver enzyme ALT. The vet put him on Medical Preventive (Canadian version of Hill's crap) and things cleared up after 1 month. Vet couldn't (wouldn't?) comment on what she thought caused it. So....I'm going to another vet now.

Keep us posted.

Prin
October 11th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Yeah, U/D is one of the Hill's prescription diets.

IMO, you're going to have to find out what the sodium thingy is and see if it is something you can reduce in the diet... Most dog food companies are very helpful if you ask them for mineral levels.:)

papillonmama
October 11th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Also, when you go back in two weeks, get him to give you a copy of test results, and to write down the exact term he's reffering to, you can do some research on your own.

I do this with the vet and my doctor, sometimes I just can't listen because I'm worried, so when I can think about it straight I'll look up all relevant information.

Good luck
Hope Abby gets better:fingerscr