Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

You won't believe what my dogs ate!

vfrohloff
October 11th, 2006, 09:22 AM
OMG, I can barely believe it myself! I always make sure that anything I leave on the kitchen counter is either not edible, or pushed way to the back of the counter so they can't reach it. Anyway, DH and I went out for dinner last night and came home to find that our 2 Greyhounds had eaten a Caramilk bar and a 4 pack of Halls cherry flavored lozenges! AAAACK! I don't even know how they got to them, the cupboards are so low that there wouldn't be room to jump up. I also stashed them behind the kettle and the coffee tin just to be safe but somehow they got to them. I called the vet last night and she said to keep an eye on them overnight and to call her if I thought they needed help. Well, they both seem fine today. Benny had the runs a bit this morning but other than that there are no signs of anything amiss. Has anyone else ever had their dog eat Halls lozenges before? I'm not too worried about the chocolate bar because we've had an incident before and neither dog seems to have a reaction to chocolate.

Melinda
October 11th, 2006, 09:41 AM
if my Brina smells halls anywhere, she goes crazy, I warn people if they have any in their purse to zip it up, she'll get on their laps to smell their mouths if they have one in there. She's eaten many of them along with a few fishermen cough drops,(all stolen of course) only thing I found was she was a tad "hyper" the next day.

Hunter's_owner
October 11th, 2006, 12:23 PM
My dog ate a cough drop before, he found it on the ground...very appetizing I know :yuck: , but he was fine. Hoepfully they will be fine. Dogs can haev a mysterious way of getting things that are supposed to be out of reach...

OntarioGreys
October 11th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Best place to hide foods is in the microwave, dishwasher, or oven(though some greys have learned to open oven doors), Even if an item is at the back of the counter , all they needs to do is stand on their hind legs close to the counter and pull an item forward with their front feet, My greyhound Sunny has never ever taken food off a counter but if I put a muzzle up there It is guaranteed he will be up stealing it and running off and munching on it, I caught him once taking off the back off the counter, which how I learned how its done

vfrohloff
October 12th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Well they seem fine today, other than a lot of red foil in their poops! No harm done I guess, but I won't be leaving cough drops around anymore.

rainbow
October 12th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Glad they are okay. Live and learn, eh. :D

Pokittles
October 12th, 2006, 02:24 PM
my dog once got a hold of a full tube of a+d ointment and ate the whole thing! it gave him a bad case of diarrhea but that was about it. he didn't learn his lesson...he still loves the taste and trys to get it.