Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Fights

lovemycats
October 11th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Hi everyone,

First I have to say that I will be taking my cat to the Vet next week, but I am just wondering if anyone here has any good advice to help me. I have 2 male cats that are about to turn 9yrs on Halloween. They fight like any other animals, but I am noticing large cuts on Domi. He seems to have dried blood on either side of his neck, near his tail and I noticed a big almost open gash on the back of his neck (he can't reach this spot). I have never though anything of this because they usually heal fine, but I am starting to get worried about this.

Do you think they could heal on their own or is there a chance they could get infected? My boys are both indoor cats and are not around any other animals. I put some ointment on the large cut last night because he can't reach it to lick it, so I figured there was no harm.

Just wondering.

Thanks a bunch.

:confused: :pawprint:

LavenderRott
October 11th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Wow.

I am not sure where you got the idea that other animals fight. I have lived in multiple pet households since I was a child and have never had animals that fought. Sure, there is some rough play but never, ever has there been any damage to either animal.

If a human gets bit by a cat and is not treated, the chances for a serious, life threatening infection is great. I have seen people who have lost the use of limbs from an untreated cat bite!

You need to take your cat to the vet THIS week. It also sounds like you need to seperate these boys permanently. Maybe neuter them if they aren't already.

lovemycats
October 11th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Well, I meant playfight and growl at eachother. They are brothers and have always done this. It just seems like it was bad the last time. But you are right that if they bite a human, there can be bad infection. Thank you for remiding me about that. I will change the appointment to Friday. I can't and would not separate them as they do love eachother. They are both fixed (for sure) and indoor cats. I just didn't like that large cut on his back.

Thank you for your help.

:thumbs up :pawprint:

:ca:

mona_b
October 11th, 2006, 08:54 AM
I would definately have him checked by the vet.As infection can set in.

I know that cats playfight.But at times it can get out of hand.As it seems with your guys.

My two are 2 1/2 and 3..They playfight and chase each other around.But neither has left marks on each other.:)

Seems like Domi is taking the brunt of it.What I would do is if it gets a bit rough,stop their rough playing.

lovemycats
October 11th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Thank you. Do you think that it is alright that I am putting ointment on his back? I don't see any harm in it if he can't touch it. It is something that can be put on a baby.
I do break up their fights (arguments). Domi does his share of kicking butt too, but Zets is alot bigger than Domi. I told Domi that he needs to start doing my pussycat situps and lifting weights, but he just smiles and licks me.

Anyways, thank you for your advice and concern.

:crazy:

mona_b
October 11th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Hmmmmm,not sure about the ointment...What are you using?

Call the vet and ask first if it's ok.Then book the appt to have Domi looked at.