Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Change in German Shepard...

mickistreeter
October 11th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Please help anyone! We have a eight year old male german shepard, a ten year old male pekeingese(who is the alpha), and a nine year old female peke also. All our fixed.

Our German has ALWAYS been well behaved, and very obedient. ALL of a sudden, he is being naughty. Going to the bathroom in the house, today he did it right in front of me, and he had JUST been outside a half hour before. Not only the going to the bathroom, but all of a sudden he is chewing also. Three days ago he ate the top of a oral B toothbrush when our son had a friend sleep over, he took it out of the boys night bag. And now yesterday, he ate a half bar of soap. AND, a week ago when my husband told him to get off the couch, he growled at him. ( He has NEVER growled at any of us before, my husband is his pride and joy)

I just do not understand, we have not made any changes, and as far as his health, he does not seem to be acting odd or eating any less or anything. He is just being naughty with going to the bathroom, chewing, and having an attitude.

Any ideas anyone? I am at wits ends here! :sad:

shannon1233A
October 11th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Please help anyone! We have a eight year old male german shepard, a ten year old male pekeingese(who is the alpha), and a nine year old female peke also. All our fixed.

Our German has ALWAYS been well behaved, and very obedient. ALL of a sudden, he is being naughty. Going to the bathroom in the house, today he did it right in front of me, and he had JUST been outside a half hour before. Not only the going to the bathroom, but all of a sudden he is chewing also. Three days ago he ate the top of a oral B toothbrush when our son had a friend sleep over, he took it out of the boys night bag. And now yesterday, he ate a half bar of soap. AND, a week ago when my husband told him to get off the couch, he growled at him. ( He has NEVER growled at any of us before, my husband is his pride and joy)

I just do not understand, we have not made any changes, and as far as his health, he does not seem to be acting odd or eating any less or anything. He is just being naughty with going to the bathroom, chewing, and having an attitude.

Any ideas anyone? I am at wits ends here! :sad:

I also have an elderly GSD (11 yrs) and it's never failed that when I've noticed a behavioural change, I've taken her to the vet and there was a physical problem found. Dogs are very good at hiding their pain or discomfort, often manifesting itself in the way the doggy behaves. A vet visit is in order, just to make sure, and then you know it's psycological changes. You state he's always been very obedient and well behaved and has just now changed, so there's definately something going on. There's many things such as doggy dementia etc that also changes a dogs attitude and as well. It may be a physical problem you can't see like hip dysplasia or arthritis starting.

Sorry I can't be of more help, other than to see a vet and make sure it's not a physical problem first, and if he's clear, then it's easier to figure out why this sudden dramatic change in your beloved friend. Please keep us update after the visit, and we can perhaps suggest things to consider which may be affecting him.

BMDLuver
October 11th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Time for a vet visit. If he were a pup, I would say it's a phase but as he's an adult dog doing things out of the ordinary all of a sudden, then there's something else going on with him.

mona_b
October 11th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Please have him checked by your vet.

If there is any change in a well behaved,very obedient dog,then yes,there is something definately going on.

I have a 10 year old GSD.Who is very obedient and well behaved.But I know for sure that if he started any unusual changes,it would be off to the vets.

Please let us know what the vet says.

Also,don't just let the vet do a rubdown exam.Have them do a stool sample,bloodwork and even xrays.Better to have everything done...;)

mickistreeter
October 11th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks Everyone! I will get him a appt. right away........ I just thought it was something behavioral.