Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mt cat is peeing etc. in my bedroom, please help...

megan may
October 11th, 2006, 01:03 AM
A few days ago, i caught my cat spraying in my room, i have made an appointment with the vet to have him neutered to sort that problem out, its just that last night, for a some or other reason, he decided to leave me a smelly present, in a box, i wasn't to impressed with him, he has always gone outside to do his business and we have never had a problem with him, I just wonder what has gotten into him, the windows were all open, so he had no reason to do it inside. Also, about a month ago, I got home and notice that he had gotten sick all over the couches, I found him laying under my desk looking so frightened, I tried to calm him and noticed he was bleeding, we rushed him to the vet, who told us he had been shot with a pellet gun, the pellet entered on the side and went right through his kidney, colon and intestine and lodged in the muscle on the otherside, he had to undergo a lot of surgery to have the pellet removed, luckily he survived, he seems to be back to normal now. He stills goes outside to do his business, not sure why he decided to do it in my room though, i was wondering if the two incidents might be related, I will have to check again tonight to see if this is going to become a habit for him, if anyone has any solution, or can atleast tell me what is wrong I would really appreciate it very much. :confused:

Prin
October 11th, 2006, 01:05 AM
I'm glad he's ok from the shot though. I don't know kitties too well, but maybe he's upset still about all that. (The more experienced kitty people should be here in the morning).:grouphug:

rainbow
October 11th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Sorry to hear about the trauma your poor cat has undergone. :grouphug:

Usually when they display behaviour like you described it means they are trying to tell you something....i.e. "I'm in pain, please help me". I would take him to the vet asap and please post with an update.

megan may
October 11th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Will do ... If anyone else thinks of anything else please let me know ... I hope he is not in pain, he seems quite fine ... but i will have to go to the vet to check it out ... :cat:

chico2
October 11th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Megan,An unneutered male will spray,he's not peeing,he is marking his territory..as any male tomcat would do.
I forgot how old you said he was,but when coming of age,that's what he will do.
Neutering will calm him down,but there is no guarantee he'll never spray again since he's started.
Or he is not well,or is stressed for some reason.He could have had a bad experience outside,afraid to go out and do his business.
The pelletshot incident could also be a factor,it's hard to figure out cats sometimes and I've had cats most of my life,but neutering is a must.
You obviously don't take any problems lightly,since you saved his little life after he was shot:sad: I hope the vet can give you some answers and advice.:fingerscr

Sariss
October 11th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Are you sure he is spraying, or is he peeing?
Where in his room is he spraying?

jessi76
October 11th, 2006, 08:04 AM
i'm sorry to hear your cat got shot w/ a pellet gun! that's just terrible! however... (not trying to lecture you) but have you considered creating a secure cat-run for him? this way he'd be able to go outside, but he'd be safe.

abudamunky
October 11th, 2006, 12:47 PM
my parents cats started spraying after they were neutered, cuz we had a neighborhood tom cat spray our front door a few times. as for the accidents in the house, i agree w/ everyone. when a kitty who is usally loving and won't leave u a lone doesn't want anything to do w/ you, there is something wrong. maybe he's still under stress from the surgery or something. maybe try setting up a littler box indoors. he may be afraid of something outside, maybe the location where he was shot, and that's why he's using your bed and etc..... a vet visit is in order though....

Stacer
October 11th, 2006, 04:03 PM
He could have a urinary infection. If he's peeing away from where he normally does, it could indicate that he's associated the pain with where he normally urinates. Although since he's not neutered yet that possibility is not as likely, but you never know, get that checked out.