Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anal Glan problem again &again - suggestions?

sookying
October 11th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Hi,
For the last year my dog has been to the vet monthly. Some times just to get his anal glans expressed other times to get repeated doses of antiobiotic. WE've had his poop checked for worms, given him anti inflamatory and antiobiotic medication and he continues to lick his anus. Could it be anything else? He licks so much his fur is gone.

Will changing vets help? Are there other alternatives besides what my vet is doing? I don't want to have his glans removed because I'm told that he could have continual accidents if the surgery is not done right.
I'd appreciate any responses.

Thanks!

Prin
October 11th, 2006, 01:45 AM
It could be an allergy. What food is your dog eating?

My big Boo gets anal gland itchies when he gets too much flax, but for your dog it might be something else that he's allergic to.

I'd change foods, if you haven't already, to something that is the "opposite" of what you are feeding now. If you decide to go this route and need help finding the right food, we can help you there too.:)

rainbow
October 11th, 2006, 03:15 AM
I agree. What are you feeding him now? :dog:

mafiaprincess
October 11th, 2006, 09:47 PM
When expressed, are they full to capacity, or are they just doing it routinely because they don't know what else to do and they aren't very full?
Is it normal liquid being expressed or nastier gunk?

sookying
October 12th, 2006, 03:36 AM
Hi, thanks for your responses.

He is currently eating Iams dog food. Any suggestions for change?

When the vet expresses his glans, he says it is not liquidy but more pussy. I don't think it's ever been to a point where it is liquidity. I have never taken him back to get re-checked after antiobiotic treatment to see if it's cleared up. Since he stops licking, I assume he's fine. What do you think?

I appreciate your advise.

mafiaprincess
October 12th, 2006, 07:58 AM
I'd want to know why they are becoming pussy. I would think it is due to texture that your dog can't express them as it poops because it is not liquidy enough.

The only time we had trouble they were the consistency of a clay face mask (yes I know ewww) so no matter how her poop was she couldn't get rid of that on her own.. Since it never has happened since, we never Had to look into the why of it.

Iams is a fairly low quality dog food, possibly if you feed better if it's an allergy related situation the dog may get better. Check the dog food forum on here, there's a lot of talk on foods.

satchelp
October 13th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I would try a higher quality food, but also would add some fibre (bran for example) to the food. My vet recommended this for a problem I had with one of my dogs. The fibre helps bulk up the stool which will help express the anal glads as the dog poops.